• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Swale

John Smith 2

Staying in a cottage in Ravensworth near Richmond( yorkshire) in August. Are there any stretches I can fish before the river reaches Richmond or are the stretches that might hold barbel and chub all below Richmond? Thanks for any info.

I think below Richmond is your better bet for Barbel and Chub but I don't know for sure John , try putting a post on the Swale thread on the rivers section , or PM one of the regular posters [ look in the archived threads ] . It's a lovely part of the country and I am sure you will enjoy your stay

Hi john
I don’t know the river up at Richmond way that well but a short drive to Morton on swale would see you with some good fishing for both chub and barbel on a day ticket.
You can grab your day tickets from the Royal George pub (my sister manages the pub so say hi from me 😁) then a 2 minute drive over the bridge and park up on your left
The day ticket covers quite a lot of water down stream from the bridge and always used to be brilliant for both barbel and chub.
This time of year when it’s running clear you would probably see both barbel and chub from looking off the bridge.
It’s been a very long time since I fished the Swale but my advice is take PLENTY of hemp and caster if you want all day chub action with one or two barbel crashing the party.

Most of the water above Richmond falls is fly only. There have been limited numbers of coarse fish up there, but they are not really a viable target. Below the falls is where increasing numbers of coarse fish are. However, the further downstream you get, the greater the numbers. There are certainly chub and barbel in and around Richmond, but they can take a bit of finding.

https://richmondangling.org.uk/

Back