• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River severn oddity

Chris Avis

No Longer a Member
Had a walk up the syndicate Im waiting for a place for today to see some other guys, halfway up and me and another angler see a fish at the surface. It was a minimum of ten pounds, not barbel like or salmon like. After a brief chat we decided the nearest thing it looked like was a sturgeon!!
Has anybody else seen any evidence of this foriegner?

I know theres a few lakes that stock them,maybe ones got in after the floods?

Quite a number of aquatic outlets stock Sterlets of numerous types...and immature true Sturgeon come to that, for putting in garden ponds :eek: It wouldn't surprise me at all if a large percentage of these 'impulse' buys end up in our rivers and lakes, when the owners tire of them :rolleyes:

Some of the match boys will remember the weird assortment of tropical fish that used to turn up in catches on canal sections which had warm water from power station outlets running into them, these fish originally having been dumped there by these irresponsible planks...some stretches supported breeding colonies of various types of tropicals for gawds sake! Sturgeon being true cold water fish anyway will have no probs at all in our rivers....pollution apart that is :D

I don't recall exactly how many years back it was that the last naturally occurring Sturgeon was caught in British waters, but we did have them visiting our rivers, certainly during the last century.

I wonder if they eat otters.........WHAT?.....I just wondered :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
@ chris surely the EA would'nt encourage people to stock exotics near a river though? Great post Dave G.

There are people out there though that dont have the morales of most and will move fish without an EA approved certificate and just do there own thing, regardless of the issues of disease spreading just for the benefit of there club or themselves.....pretty poor in my opinion. But it does happen on a regular basis.

Very likely a sturgeon. There is a famous picture of a massive one caught in the river Towy in Carmarthen many years ago.

I'd forgotten how big that one was Dave! A "treble"! Pretty safe as a PB for that angler I should think :)

I remember reading about a huge sturgeon that was caught in the 1800's from the Teme at Dinham weir, Ludlow. It had obviously made its way up the Severn and I assume it was able to get up the river because there weren't any weirs to stop them in those days. Don't they become property of the crown?

shark :)

Back