• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River ribble its Mental!!

Ste Whybrow

Fished the place last Yr ( full season)on a fairly popular stretch I didnt have a single barbel my mate had 5 all season,was seeing otters regularly ees etc so put it down to that, although to the back end of the season ( jan-march) the otters disappeared, had my first session last Friday overnight with my mate and had 8 between us I had the biggest and my pb at 11.8 again didn't see otters but the river was very low2/3ft deep my question is were are the otters and is it fishing well because the fish are congrateing together because how low it is( even though there's plenty being caught on a different sections of the stretch I fish,what I found strange as well there's plenty of 4/5 pounders coming out ok some are repeat captures but how can it go from absolutely struggling to being great fishing( at the moment) I don't understand it any ideas!!

The Otters are probably just elsewhere, one way or another and the second part… enjoy it while it lasts and don’t ask questions, in all seriousness we all know location is the biggest factor and just the the Otters Barbel can travel huge distances.
This time two years ago one particular bend on the D.Stour had dozens and dozens of Carp, if you’d said 100 I’d believe you and I’ve barely seen one in that stretch in past years. Where they came from god knows, but it was if every carp in the whole river had arrived in that 100 meters. Not happened again since.

The otters will probably return soon. Was similar on a stretch of the Severn Iv been fishing. You see them for a few months then they seem to disappear for a bit but will return

Back