• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

river reports

Oh, I do feel that my thread has gone off tangent:(. The purpose of writing the thread wasn't to generate a negative response; which falls foul of the same attitude as what made me post in the first place. I had hoped to get conversation going about how to fight the decline of our rivers; instead it has become one that everyone wants to say nothing; being fearful of losing their fishing. Earlier on in another post I mentioned about water quality AND the decline in bio-mass because of decline in fishermen on the bank etc; yet 95% of replies have been about" I don't want you fishing where I do, becuase you will catch MY fish". SO, maybe I am in a minority and this topic needed to be brought up elsewhere!
I don’t think the thread has swayed off topic at all Paul nor has it gone into negative direction either. It’s a great thread…. Some really good reads…..
if you title it “river reports” and open with a post suggesting more contributions on river reports, which direction do you expect the thread to go?

What you describe, Paul, is just the nature of forums. One small digression usually starts a snowball rolling. I'm sure there was no deliberate intent.
Richard, I didn't for one moment the digression was intentional.
Richard I, I was hoping for a discussion on why the numbers of barbel have declined; or not if the numbers of anglers not reporting. i was not looking for information of where fish were caught, just an idea of numbers.
Hey, if no-0ne wants to post full reports, why not just post a number!!
SO,
River ? 2.
That would let others know at least there are fish still left to fish for.:cool:

Understand Paul
The barbel fishing on a Yorkshire river I’m not allowed to name ( club rules) was good for the short time I fished it in June
Hung rods up in July & August due to drought
Got harder in September but stamp better but on par with other seasons - no noticeable decline
Not had a barbel since then but not really been targeting them
Would hope to winkle one or two out before end of season
Chub fishing has been as good as any year , probably better for stamp of fish👍
I didn’t go to the Wye this year as the fishing had dramatically declined over the last couple of years compared to previous but…21/22 season even on a sickly Wye I caught more barbel in a week than I would on my home river in a month

Richard, I didn't for one moment the digression was intentional.
Richard I, I was hoping for a discussion on why the numbers of barbel have declined; or not if the numbers of anglers not reporting. i was not looking for information of where fish were caught, just an idea of numbers.
Hey, if no-0ne wants to post full reports, why not just post a number!!
SO,
River ? 2.
That would let others know at least there are fish still left to fish for.:cool:
Paul with a bit of research on here you can see why and what rivers have declined .. for example in a nut shell

Ivel …..otter
Gt ouse ….. otter
Wye……. Chicken farms
Wensum …. Otter
Lea … pollution

Etc etc

Paul with a bit of research on here you can see why and what rivers have declined .. for example in a nut shell

Ivel …..otter
Gt ouse ….. otter
Wye……. Chicken farms
Wensum …. Otter
Lea … pollution

Etc etc
Nene….
3AF36314-392B-45CF-B8B9-D165C83CCA42.jpeg
3745BEEF-3CEC-43B3-9E8C-B07DB8E76BF6.jpeg

A bloke last year fished the last couple of days on the nene at castor in a particular swim ..he had a day we all dream of 3x16,s in a day along with other back up doubles over the two days …. He then proceeded to post all his pics on Facebook and castor regulars recognised the swim straight away not a popular swim by any means…. I would say his chances of getting back in that swim in March this year are zero to very unlikely if I had been him i would have only told 3-4 angling mates people who I regularly fish with there is no way any pics would have ended up on the internet
I suppose the reason people don’t post stuff is there are anglers out there who will fish off the back of other people’s hard work and pioneering so why should they reap the rewards
As you know paul yourself being a member of the catchers we fill in catch returns but we only list the river not the area but we will always divulge lots of other info to fellow catchers but that is reciprocated
To be honest I never look at the river reports preferring to find my own way on any given stretch of river I’m fishing
How crowded are the swims today, no doubt will be packed near the ox - bow,🤣🤭🫣

Back