• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Record

Stephen Whyte

Firstly, i would like to take this opportunity to say hello to everyone, as i'm new to the forum in it's new format. Also, i was wondering what the proceedure was for river records, as i believe i witnessed one this morning ?

Many Thanks
Steve

Stephen was that before you got up:rolleyes:

Here is the detail:

To claim an official British barbel river record:

The capture must have been photographed.

The capture will have preferably had a witness present.

Please contact Andy if you would like to claim a record and I'll
liaise with Dave Mason on your behalf. Please supply:

Name of River

Weight of fish

Date caught

A photograph of the fish

Witness details

Your contact details

i have never understood the witness bit, you could be out in the nowhere and catch a record, but, oh, damn,the nearest person is 5 miles away.

To Ian Crook,
"The capture will have preferably had a witness present"

From my experience the capture must have a witness present.

To David Hall,
I was in exactly that position but no keep net!

To Son of Stephen Whyte,
Many congratulations on the capture you will never forget it.

All the best
Colin

To Ian Crook,
"The capture will have preferably had a witness present"

From my experience the capture must have a witness present.

To David Hall,
I was in exactly that position but no keep net!

To Son of Stephen Whyte,
Many congratulations on the capture you will never forget it.

All the best
Colin

Thanks for that everyone, and, Colin, my lad Gage, thanks you for the congratulations. He is, understandably, delighted and we have the photographs. If I qualify as a witness being his dad, then i think we have a new river record here.

The Amazon:)

I was always under the impression that witnesses had to be independent i.e. not related to the claimant. I hope this is not the case for your son's sake. The other thing to do is to check the accuracy of your scales. How and by whom this is done needs to be explained to you by someone who has experience in this. Hopefully someone on the site will pm you with the appropriate advice. One final point, I would suggest you give as little information as is possible in the public arena to avoid hoardes of fish chasers arriving in your swim and this may necessitate carefull cropping of photographs.
All the best to the captor and don't forget you taught him everything he knows!!

Anthony.

For individual river records you don't need a witness or to have your scales checked. These are both for national records themselves. It is preferred for you to have a witness but not a requirement for a claim.

Cheers Lewis

NB, I stand to be corrected but after lengthy conversations with several people this is what I was told.

Last edited:
Hello Ian,
I was not having a go at you, but just stating a fact, because the only communication I had from David Mason regarding a fish of mine last year was "Unfortunately your fish can not be considered as a record as there were no witneses". I don't have a problem with that if that is how the rules work, because I know what I caught, and can remember every detail of the capture.

All the best
Colin

Back