• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River monitoring apps.

John Carter

Morning everyone.

Does anyone use an app or apps for monitoring river conditions, and if so, could you give recommendations to try?

Cheers.

Hi,
I use a kayakers' app called 'Riverapp'. You can choose your favourite rivers and in the free version you can see the past 24-48 hours as discharge level graphs. Give it a go.

I use this one. It’s very good
up to the last 2 days is free or you can pay for more previous recordings
760E7F14-778D-49B7-A6DF-10E700607472.jpeg
0A0E9C9E-2C38-4671-8A63-46CB6CBB1507.jpeg

I use the EA levels website and bookmark the various spots that I fish. Historical data is provided and in some cases a prediction curve which I find useful. Here's an example:

I use the EA .gov ones. If you have an iPhone, you can save websites straight to your home screen through Safari. Just go on the site, click the little icon at the bottom (box with arrow) and select ‘Save to home screen’. Viola. Levels, club forum, bfw at the touch of a button!
FB634A75-5574-4CD1-88FC-3B3514F53E45.png

Yes, that's it, only shows for some stations. You don't have to do anything extra if it's available then it shows.
Those forecast levels are really useful IMO. They are only available on a few of my local rivers, and not others. Sometimes the actual timing of the peak levels is slightly off from those predicted, but they give a very helpful and reasonably accurate forecast. Very useful for being able to estimate peaks upstream and downstream of the forecast monitoring stations.
Not quite sure why the forecast levels are only currently available from a small number of monitoring stations. Decided to use the 'feedback' section on the website to request that forecast levels are available for more monitoring stations, to cover a larger number of rivers than at present.

Back