• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Medway, Kent - EA Ashurst Weir Demolition

Hi Ray, not just Ashurst they are going to remove Chafford Weir at Fordcombe aswel.
They turned up at Fordcombe a few weeks ago and started to remove every tree and bush below the road bridge, they have totally destroyed that stretch. I fished above the road bridge yesterday and took a walk on the downstream stretch after I packed up. I just can`t believe what they have done, took about twenty photos, there`s no cover left at all. Fishing below the road bridge has been fabulous this season for both quality Barbel and Chub with the odd Carp thrown in for good measure. I think the stretch will be devoid of fish now don`t know if I`ll renew my ticket next season. It was only prompt action by the controlling club ( RTWAS ) that stopped them removing all the trees and bushes all the way up to Penshurst. Is this what we pay the EA our licence money for ?

I am afraid that this type of habitat destruction is what the EA do Kevin without ever publicising it. They only publicise the hyped EA repair stuff and re-stockings and hide the real truth in what they do. They should have informed and asked the club and landowner for permission to access the venue (in advance in writing) and there should always be a knowledgeable environmentally aware club official on the bank to oversee the work being carried out too where he/she can object and advise. The club/landowner can refuse access and make the EA go to court to obtain a warrant to access to where you can then make your objections to the court regarding your fishing rights and environmental habitat damage to fish, birds, mammals(water voles etc), wildfowl etc the tree and bankside vegetation carnage will cause/loss of club income etc... and make it all public knowledge and expose the EA. It is happening everywhere and they should be exposed and stopped. You should check with your club as to whether permission was given to the EA. Also check whether RTWAS club has objected to the EA weir removals, which is important.
Watch out next for the EA hiring contractors to dredge the Medway as that was on the cards at the same time as the Weir removal proposals in 2012. see link http://www.dredgingtoday.com/2012/1...fficials-seek-bids-for-river-medway-dredging/

I don`t know if the land owner had given them permission or not, I don`t think RTWAS knew it was going to happen. It was a couple of the clubs committee members that made them stop the destruction and since then the club have put bat and bird boxes in any remaining trees on their stretch. A bit like closing the stable door I`m afraid but at least it has stopped them from causing further mayhem. I believe there is a meeting to discuss the removal of Chafford Weir in the coming weeks, perhaps other RTWAS members or officials can give more detailed information.

I have put the R.Medway weir removal subject on various FB pages to try and gain more info etc, to where it has received a good number of responses. A lot of them are on the EA's own FB page post to where they have thrown a few of their cut down trees/logs into a stream saying that it is a dam and will hold back water and stop flooding downstream. ;) Worth reading the comments and commenting yourself and putting your Medway experience across. Here is the link. https://www.facebook.com/environmen...69797688025/10154646516698026/?type=3&theater

Ray/ Kevin

The following has been posted on RTWAS forum, I'm going to try and get to one of the sessions to see what is being proposed.

"there will be drop in events at Fordcombe Village Hall for stakeholders to express their opinions and ideas on the above subject.
These will take place on Saturday 25th March between 10.30 and 14.30 and on Thursday 30th 16.00 to 20.00."

The subject being the removal of the weirs. I believe EA will be hosting the drop ins.

Regards

Bill

I know that the BDAS club is involved as they have one of the banks at Ashurst Weir and they have objected to its removal. You have a PM

'fraid not Kev. I've only fished The Medway a handfull of times this season and not been to Fordcombe since the late autumn...I'll make a point of getting down to see the destruction....

I'm a cynic Kev, I bet that this proposal has got sod all to do with restoring the rivers to their natural condition...it's all to do with getting the water out into the estuary as quick as they can so as the poor blighters who have been conned into buying property built on the flood plains don't get their shagpile wet :mad:

Ray/ Kevin

The following has been posted on RTWAS forum, I'm going to try and get to one of the sessions to see what is being proposed.

"there will be drop in events at Fordcombe Village Hall for stakeholders to express their opinions and ideas on the above subject.
These will take place on Saturday 25th March between 10.30 and 14.30 and on Thursday 30th 16.00 to 20.00."

The subject being the removal of the weirs. I believe EA will be hosting the drop ins.

Regards

Bill

Generally...if the SE region EA are hosting meetings and drop ins etc, then you can pretty well guarantee that they have already made up their minds to knock down the weirs.. in my opinion. I think you will have to find some pretty good reasoning to why they should'nt or can't do it. The EA are a law unto themselves and they have probably got government approval and grants to do it regarding Flood Defence. Threaten them with court action, deny access etc. as the real reason is nothing to do with fish migration, but more Flood Defence measures which are ill found. A fish pass is the cheapest and easiest best bet for fish migration...but i bet they won't go for that as it is not the real reason that they want the weirs gone. EA Cost cutting to maintain the weirs and fish pass is another reason....and another is to help upstream profiteering farmers and the NFU member farmers to keep the excess river water and rainfall off the natural water meadows and natural flood plains and to dry them both out for commercial business reasons. The NFU(National Farmers Union) is also an insurance company that has to pay out of flooded houses and wet shagpiles. ;)

Chaps, not my neck of the woods but a friend mentioned to me a year or so ago that the EA were proposing to remove some of the Medways weirs for the benefit of returning migratory game fish. Good luck finding out what the EA are up to..

Sounds like a petition to the government is needed to hold the EA to account for their persistent destruction of rivers. It only needs 100,000 signatures to get the subject discussed in Parliament. Change.Org seems to be an effective medium.
Shouldn't be that difficult to get support from the angling community. I'm sure I'm not alone in being adversely affected by the EA's destruction of our Rivers.
Anyone up for it?

It would certainly get my vote Paul but as for me setting it up there is more chance of me flying!! I'm a total numpty when it comes to computers but guide me how to cast my vote and I'll put 15.5 stone behind it

Go for it Paul...i and others will pump it out everywhere around the UK including environmental groups and wildlife trusts, press etc. The EA certainly won't like it and will expose and embarrass them to their knees....then they will hoof the blame to the NFU/government etc.

I used to fish these stretches back in the 90's and given how entrenched the Medway is in parts I cannot see why flood defence would be a reason unless there is now housing where there never used to be. The weirs if I recall are not huge but are a feature of the river and should be left as they are IMO. Interested to see any pics of the destruction.

Kevin/Bill...and all. The Angling Trust/Fish Legal are on the case regarding the EA tree and bankside veg destruction, and have asked for photos from different areas and other UK rivers. They are making the issue public. If you or others have any pics showing the carnage on your stretches, then i need them.. and i can then forward them on to the AT asap for their press release etc. They are also questioning the EA/NE. Best Regards...Ray

Ray,

Unless Kev took some on an earlier visit I will get down there a bit later in the week and take some. I'm a tad closer to Fordcombe than Kev he has to either brave the Dartford River Crossing or swim the estuary :D
It'll take me a day or two.

Regards

Bill

Back