• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Loddon Free Stretch

D

Daniel Potter

Hi All,

I went to look at the free stretch of the Loddon yesterday. It's the stretch in Winnersh behind the Showcase cinema and park and ride.

It looked quite promising and talking to a guy who works nearby he siad it produces some good barbel.

Have any of you fished it ? Where does the strecth run from and to ? I walked along the river to where it meets up with the Dinton Pastures swims.

Any information gratefully received.

Thanks

Dan

Hi All,

I went to look at the free stretch of the Loddon yesterday. It's the stretch in Winnersh behind the Showcase cinema and park and ride.

It looked quite promising and talking to a guy who works nearby he siad it produces some good barbel.

Have any of you fished it ? Where does the strecth run from and to ? I walked along the river to where it meets up with the Dinton Pastures swims.

Any information gratefully received.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Danny and welcome to the madhouse.
I note it is your first post, and you start by by telling this band of Itinerant poachers the location of some barbel on the Loddon, and it appears they have taken up residence in the Showcase cinema, I suspect that they found it pretty peaceful there the barbel, I mean no one would think of fishing for them there....would they?:)

Hi Neil,

I'm not sure I undrstand what you're trying to say.

I'm just looking for some general information on that stretch of the Loddon.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Daniel,

Not sure that people are going to give out info about said stretch on an open forum.....

I am just asking if anyone had fished it and where it starts and ends. I am not after any record breaking fish I just enjoy fishing and wondered if anyone could give me their experiences of the stretch.

Good luck Daniel I believe there's probably a low stock of fish there but some good ones. Not easy fishing but I am sure local angling shops can give you the boundaries. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes on the stretch can turn up some fish.

Welcome to the nut house Dan
I can't really comment on said stretch or river BUT I don't think you would get much luck on a open forum as you've been abit exact with location etc.
We are a friendly bunch as you will find out but also there are your fairshare of knickers n critics.
My advice mate would be source info from your local tackle shop n if you do start having a few in the new season upto you but keep it quiet or the circus will come into town.

Regards
Mark

Welcome to the nut house Dan
I can't really comment on said stretch or river BUT I don't think you would get much luck on a open forum as you've been abit exact with location etc.
We are a friendly bunch as you will find out but also there are your fairshare of knickers n critics.
My advice mate would be source info from your local tackle shop n if you do start having a few in the new season upto you but keep it quiet or the circus will come into town.

Regards
Mark

Mark,

Okay thanks for the advice. I think I am getting the drift of the people who have replied.

On the bank I am always ready to help other anglers and have also been helped greatly by others.

I suppose I never really considered that people would be trawling internet forums to find the location of the next big fish.

It's a bit sad really. Just because a strectch produces a big fish it doesn't necessarily follow that it's a nice/enjoyable place to fish.

For me it's about a combination of surroundings, catching fish(of any size) and distance from my home.

Anyway, I know the rules now and will avoid specific references in the future

Cheers

Dan

Dan
Don't get me wrong there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and some very helpful blokes who will always offer friendly useful advice.
I've picked up tips that have helped me no end.
I just think stretches is a bit of a taboo subject, stick with it though we are not a bad bunch just get used to the closed season banter n wind ups

Mark

Hi Dan - welcome to the forum. There's a wealth of experience here, and plenty willing to give good advice. There are a few Loddonites (for want of a better word) who frequent BFW and all seem a decent sort. Try the River Reports, and good luck in your quest. :)

None of the stretches Ive ever fished on the Loddon were prolific, so if you like the look of the free stretch give it a go. My guess would be that it's fairly slow going but with persistence will produce a good fish or two. Good luck.
Nick c

Thanks to everyone for the replies and PMs and for helping me to understand how BFW works:)

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

Don't get to disheartened by your first stab at a BFW forum. It is full of guys willing to help but as with all walks of life there are some that will banter, take the ****, call it what you like, but don't take it to heart.
The question of stretches especially when named is a problem due to the fact that the ''circus'' as mentioned will descend on said stretch and ruin the chances for not only yourself but for those already fishing the stretch. People will be willing to give you information but most would prefer to do it by pm and this would be my advice for any future posts concerning stretches.
Having said that, any other questions you have lets say regarding bait rigs etc are normally answered by many in the relevant forums.
Good luck in your quest for information and well done to Ian Crook for being a gent and pm'ing you.

ATB,

Nick

Daniel I have also left you a PM but it probably repeats what Crooky said. He is a great guy and wouldn't put you wrong.

Tight Lines

David

Back