• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River levels

Gary Wagstaff

my local river the Ribble went up to about 16 ft up overnight at ribchester which is were i fish most of the sessions at this time of year,dropped 5ft in 6 hours and is now back on the rise .tickle trout on the M6 junction 31was in the fields this morning .more rain forecast will shoot up again tonight

Seems to be pretty much a regular pattern each year now, just when it ought to the ideal time to make the most of the last few weeks of the season :rolleyes:🌧️🌊

my local river the Ribble went up to about 16 ft up overnight at ribchester which is were i fish most of the sessions at this time of year,dropped 5ft in 6 hours and is now back on the rise .tickle trout on the M6 junction 31was in the fields this morning .more rain forecast will shoot up again tonight
I went tickled trout stretch on Tuesday fishing for chub ,the app I use for revels said it had gone down from 4 meters to 3 but got there and raging through it most of come up a couple of feet while I was there, and all I caught were loads of snags ..

I always look at the Government check for flooding river level site when doing any sort of distance most of the level sensors now do readings every 15 minutes. I look at level sensors just upstream of where I fish. After making a 200 mile mistake with a gallon of maggot 10 + years ago down to the Stour I usually arrive at a level that I can fish and if its over I do not bother to travel. I check again on the morning of travel because heavy rain overnight can make a big change. I was going to the Cherwell Thursday this week but Thrupp 7066 level sensor went over 2.2m. I made a decision in the past that if over 1.8m the colour would be too heavy to float fish our stretch. Nothing like having a local mate to check with too. But Saturday afternoon advise for a Sunday fishing session from your mate can be wrong if its been chucking it down 50 miles upstream. I have done that too in the past. Obviously float fishing with maggot or ledgering with big baits will have different levels of flood tolerance.

Last edited:
I always look at the Government check for flooding river level site when doing any sort of distance most of the level sensors now do readings every 15 minutes. I look at level sensors just upstream of where I fish. After making a 200 mile mistake with a gallon of maggot 10 + years ago down to the Stour I usually arrive at a level that I can fish and if its over I do not bother to travel. I check again on the morning of travel because heavy rain overnight can make a big change. I was going to the Cherwell Thursday this week but Thrupp 7066 level sensor went over 2.2m. I made a decision in the past that if over 1.8m the colour would be too heavy to float fish our stretch. Nothing like having a local mate to check with too. But Saturday afternoon advise for a Sunday fishing session from your mate can be wrong if its been chucking it down 50 miles upstream. I have done that too in the past. Obviously float fishing with maggot or ledgering with big baits will have different levels of flood tolerance.

Yes it's so frustrating when you get there it's not what you expect,I use a kayaking site so don't think it's the best but still going of Samlesbury which is the nearest to the stretch I fish on there..

Back