• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Kennet

And you cannot have any of our Northern spate water!
Although rather worringly I have started to see many more H2O lorries about!

I'm not sure it's just an issue of rain. Abstraction and the supply of water into Swindon are factors too, as is policy and priorities regarding who and how much of the kennet water is taken. Either way it's not looking at all good.

Nick

I'm not sure it's just an issue of rain. Abstraction and the supply of water into Swindon are factors too, as is policy and priorities regarding who and how much of the kennet water is taken. Either way it's not looking at all good.

Nick
i think this year the lack of rain has been a big part, but as you say, other long term issues as well.

If you want a read of some serious (and worrying) analysis of the possible future for the Thames and Yorkshire Ouse see:
The British river of the future: How climate change and human activity might affect two contrasting river ecosystems in England, Science of The Total Environment, 407 (17), p.4787-4798, Aug 2009, doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2009.05.018.

Unfortunately you will need a Scivese Account to read it at: ScienceDirect - Science of The Total Environment : The British river of the future: How climate change and human activity might affect two contrasting river ecosystems in England

Would love to read the article, don't have access though and they want $42 to download it so i'll have to skip it unless you care to give us the highlights.
Stewart

Stewart, when I am back in my office I will see if I can access it. Briefly it states:
The possible effects of changing climate on a southern and a north-eastern English river (the Thames and the Yorkshire Ouse, respectively) were examined in relation to water and ecological quality throughout the food web. The CLASSIC hydrological model, driven by output from the Hadley Centre climate model (HadCM3), based on IPCC low and high CO2 emission scenarios for 2080 were used as the basis for the analysis. Compared to current conditions, the CLASSIC model predicted lower flows for both rivers, in all seasons except winter. Such an outcome would lead to longer residence times (by up to a month in the Thames), with nutrient, organic and biological contaminant concentrations elevated by 70–100% pro-rata, assuming sewage treatment effectiveness remains unchanged. Greater opportunities for phytoplankton growth will arise, and this may be significant in the Thames. Warmer winters and milder springs will favour riverine birds and increase the recruitment of many coarse fish species. However, warm, slow-flowing, shallower water would increase the incidence of fish diseases. These changing conditions would make southern UK rivers in general a less favourable habitat for some species of fish, such as the Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Accidental or deliberate, introductions of alien macrophytes and fish may change the range of species in the rivers. In some areas, it is possible that a concurrence of different pressures may give rise to the temporary loss of ecosystem services, such as providing acceptable quality water for humans and industry. An increasing demand for water in southern England due to an expanding population, a possibly reduced flow due to climate change, together with the Water Framework Directive obligation to maintain water quality, will put extreme pressure on river ecosystems, such as the Thames.

I have a copy of it through my Account with SciVerse. The actual paper reads more worryingly than the abstract I posted above. Neil you are right it does make for grim reading but these people are not sensationalists but scientists publishing their research performed at places such as:
  • Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, OX10 8BB, United Kingdom
  • CEFAS Weymouth Laboratory, Barrack Road, The Nothe, Weymouth, Dorset, DT4 8UB, United Kingdom
  • Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Monks Wood, Abbots Ripton, Huntingdon, PE28 2LS, United Kingdom
  • Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Library Avenue, Bailrigg, Lancaster, LA1 4AP, United Kingdom
  • Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3SR, United Kingdom
  • Institute for the Environment, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3PH, United Kingdom
  • Bournemouth Univ, Sch Conservat Sci, Poole BH12 5 BB, Dorset, United Kingdom

sorry this just does not worry me yet as breifly skipping through lets be honest thing can change lets be honest they cant manage to predict the weather 2 days in advance so i may admit that this year has been extremely dry the hope is with a mild wet winter it will balance itself out something mother nature is very good at it was not until man came along that the balance was knocked out of kilt

I have a copy of it through my Account with SciVerse. The actual paper reads more worryingly than the abstract I posted above. Neil you are right it does make for grim reading but these people are not sensationalists but scientists publishing their research performed at places such as:
  • Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, OX10 8BB, United Kingdom
  • CEFAS Weymouth Laboratory, Barrack Road, The Nothe, Weymouth, Dorset, DT4 8UB, United Kingdom
  • Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Monks Wood, Abbots Ripton, Huntingdon, PE28 2LS, United Kingdom
  • Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Library Avenue, Bailrigg, Lancaster, LA1 4AP, United Kingdom
  • Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3SR, United Kingdom
  • Institute for the Environment, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3PH, United Kingdom
  • Bournemouth Univ, Sch Conservat Sci, Poole BH12 5 BB, Dorset, United Kingdom

Very serious reading, grim outlook.

Hugo

Even without dire changes to the weather there is ,imo, too much pressure on existing water. I believe i read somewhere that London receives less rainfall per head of population than much of Spain and we are looking at a much increased population in this country. Some years ago there was a planned expansion of the village i live in, 4000 homes on nearby farmland. At a public meeting the representative from ( i think) Southern Water said they could not supply to an additional 4000 homes, the County Council and developers ( both very pro the project) just said they had to as it was their statutory duty. With this sort of blinkered planning we might as well all take up sand yatching. Thankfully the project was binned. If the John Prescott million new homes in the South East ever came to fruition, what chance the water table.:mad:
Ona slightly wider issue, how can governments talk about reducing waste, carbon emissions etc when they keep increasing demand ie population.

whinge over :D

Back