• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Itchen Trip friday 14th

Danny Collins

I couldnt wait any longer to wet a line so on the spur of the moment on Thursday I said to the wife Im fishing tomorrow is that ok. I always ask her first being a diplomatic guy and she always says yes. So I fancied a Grayling day on the Upper Itchen near Southampton

So a couple of phone calls later i booked up with Lyndsey and duly arrived friday morning at 8.30am after driving through pi**ing rain for 3 hrs.

The levels were right up and it was coloured ,and I thought I must be mad as it was still raining heavily and the wind was gusting quite hard. Anyway I found a little spot with a bit of slack water and duly

got the brollie up and got underneath. The wind was blowing in my face and I was still getting wet despite I was under the broll.

Anyway I put a couple of bait droppers of maggots in close just under the rod top, had a cup of tea and then baited up with 3 red maggs and in went the float and to my surprise darted under and my 1st grayling around a pound was in the net. I thought good they are here.

Next cast produced a nice Trout of well over 2lbs. I wondered can I make it 3in a row so I put a grain of corn on and the float buried and I was into a good fish. it was a Chub and it looked around 5lbs but weighed in at 4lb.4ozs.
By now i was getting wetter and muddier but pretty happy with my results so far.

Then I caught a few more Grayling and some nice Trout and then hit something that was jet propelled. It was a Salmon about 12lbs which jumped out of the water 5 ft from me and shed the hook.

Now it gets worse after that good start. I had a nice Grayling in the net and I could see the hook was caught up so im trying to get if free and the fish twisted around as they do and the hook was straight in my finger. Then the fish twisted again and ripped the hook straight out through my skin and the
blood poured out.

So total tally was 7 Grayling most around a lb and up to 1.4lb 5 Trout well over 2lbs and the Chub. considering the weather I was well chuffed with the result.

To cut a long story short I moved swims as my one has died on me and decided to try for Barbel on the swimfeeder. There was so much **** coming down which kept catching my line so after 2 hrs I decided to call it a day. by Now it was getting dark so I packed all my soaking and muddy gear in to the back of my car and then Guess What??

my car got stuck in the mud and there was no one to be seen. I got some planks of wood and after around an hour managed to get free.I was soaking wet covered in mud but was a happy man.

The moral of this story is dont lay in bed go fishing. tite lines D
="4"][/SIZE]

A good day's fishing, and a good write up Danny. At least you managed to get yourself out, last time I got stuck in the mud I had to get towed out by a tractor! :eek:

River Itches

A good day's fishing, and a good write up Danny. At least you managed to get yourself out, last time I got stuck in the mud I had to get towed out by a tractor! :eek:

I did panic a bit Steve the Bailiff was out and never answered his phone and I was stuck in the wild and wooly west all alone.The funny thing is I helped push another fishermans car out which was next to mine and never thought I would get stuck.Wot a plonker a???:D

Best Barbel reported this season is 12lb! Rumour is that they are escapees from a fishfarm upstream.

Danny, I assume you were on the Lower Itchen fishery? From the mill downstream passed the pub and all the way to Wood Mill is free. Probably one of, if not the best, free fisheries in the country.

Congrats on a decent bag of fish anyway.

Best Barbel reported this season is 12lb! Rumour is that they are escapees from a fishfarm upstream.

Danny, I assume you were on the Lower Itchen fishery? From the mill downstream passed the pub and all the way to Wood Mill is free. Probably one of, if not the best, free fisheries in the country.

Congrats on a decent bag of fish anyway.

Cheers Gary.Yep was on the Lower Itchen Fishery. I havent tried the free stretch yet but have heard its good for Roach as well. Lets hope more Barbel: escape a?? :D

Back