• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Great Ouse Clubs (Chub Waters)

Julian Griffiths

Hi chaps.

I'm at a stage in my life, where I'd like to possibly further my angling experiences, I've started to look for fishing on other rivers I've never stepped foot upon...

I've Googled some searches of my own on the above river. I'm looking for some proper intimate chub waters for the autumn/winter already!

You know the ones. The ones with good snags, bushes & tree features, that scream a cast or two.

Is there any club waters that are a little under the radar that produce good chub sport?

I'm more than happy to continue this privately by directly messenging me, as I fully understand the importance of not publicly speaking of venues openly etc etc.
So yes. I hope to catch up with some of you soon?

Cheers. Julian

Hi chaps.

I'm at a stage in my life, where I'd like to possibly further my angling experiences, I've started to look for fishing on other rivers I've never stepped foot upon...

I've Googled some searches of my own on the above river. I'm looking for some proper intimate chub waters for the autumn/winter already!

You know the ones. The ones with good snags, bushes & tree features, that scream a cast or two.

Is there any club waters that are a little under the radar that produce good chub sport?

I'm more than happy to continue this privately by directly messenging me, as I fully understand the importance of not publicly speaking of venues openly etc etc.

Cheers. Julian
It’s definitely worth joining one of the club’s affiliated with the ivel protection agency.
The river ivel is certainly a very long way off what it was regarding barbel but for big chub it definitely holds some absolute belters and there’s a hell of a lot of that river that barely sees a line.

It’s definitely worth joining one of the club’s affiliated with the ivel protection agency.
The river ivel is certainly a very long way off what it was regarding barbel but for big chub it definitely holds some absolute belters and there’s a hell of a lot of that river that barely sees a line.
Richard your a gent! 👍
I'll look into that. And will start to look for any tackle shops nearby... Unless you know of any?

What's does the Ivel protection society do exactly?
Fights against polluters?

Nothing to my knowledge. Maybe some years ago they were involved in the upkeep of that river but nowadays you don’t even see a bailiff down there
The kings arms sandy was always the best one to get on if it’s just the ivel your interested in as it was just £20 for the year and the only other water they had was a small commercial lake.
There’s 6 other clubs also affiliated but they have alot of other waters and we’re considerably more expensive to join.

If you just want chub action then pretty much every club stretch along the Ouse should have something for you, much of it will come down to which parts of the river can be accessed most easily from where you are based. If its bigger chub that you are after then the Ouse might not be the best place to be right now. Bigger fish have been in short supply the last couple of seasons on most stretches, there seem to be a good number of smaller fish coming through but it might be a few years before those 2 pounders are worth targeting.

Hi chaps.

Cheers. Julian
most of the clubs that cover the Ouse have very similar sections, in fact some have only 1 bank and another club has the opposite bank. I am not sure if any of these are really 'under the radar'.

Here's 4 to consider all of which have stretches that meet your needs, Verulam are more expensive but you get the affiliated membership with the Ivel Protection Society. You can get more details of each on their websites.

Milton Keynes Angling Association
Verulam
Newport Pagnall fishing association
Luton Angling club

The EA had their contractors virtually clear my little Ivel out of any aquatic weed in August and rip out ancient Norfolk reed beds. They cut the weed every August and just pile it up on the banks. The roach have taken a huge hit from the cormorants since so much cover has been ripped out of the river and I didn't catch a single roach after Xmas. There are some great chub still, but much of the river has become like a great big drain.
There's going to be a survey by the EA soon, to see how they can improve the river around Sandy. Really!? :\

From the AGM. The Chairman reported that a substantial grant had been received from the Environment Agency to enable a feasibility study to be carried out on possible ways to improve the River Ivel in the Sandy area. This would be a joint study with Vauxhall AC who have a stretch of water in the area too.

Richard your a gent! 👍
I'll look into that. And will start to look for any tackle shops nearby... Unless you know of any?

The IPA does nothing to help protect the Ivel, it's just an umbrella association for local clubs.
The best club to join for the river is Olney & Clifton. They have more river than any other club do and they really do look after their fishery. Check out their FB page and website.

Back