• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Goyt-Mersey

Ste Whybrow

Hi guys being from Oldham I’ve started looking at rivers closer to hand,I fish the ribble a lot and the Trent occasionally but sometimes I just want somewhere closer ,I’ve been looking at both rivers and there’s not a lot of info on the internet,Stockport fed own a few stretches but you can not night fish so what’s the point ? Anybody got any info can you please let me no (by pm if you want)I’m willing to join a decent club and walking doesn’t bother me but would like the choice to night fish or not cheers ste

I am sure someone will come up with some tips Ste , in the meantime have a look in the river archived threads on here , not so sure on the Mersey but the Goyt certainly is fished by a few on here

Hi Ste - yes the Fed rules are that nightfishing is off limits. However, you can stay until an hour after sunset. That being the river around Pear Mill in Stockport used to be a great stretch with quite a few fish caught during daylight, however a hydro scheme (in the form of an archimedean screw) was installed on the weir in late 2016, and subsequently killed the fishing. There are fish further upstream as well.
The Mersey has a few but there are very few swims around Stockport itself. Best to google maps and check a few out.

What's the point if your can't night fish? Most barbel anglers fish at night, so most are caught at night IMO :)

Hi Ste - yes the Fed rules are that nightfishing is off limits. However, you can stay until an hour after sunset. That being the river around Pear Mill in Stockport used to be a great stretch with quite a few fish caught during daylight, however a hydro scheme (in the form of an archimedean screw) was installed on the weir in late 2016, and subsequently killed the fishing. There are fish further upstream as well.
The Mersey has a few but there are very few swims around Stockport itself. Best to google maps and check a few out.

What's the point if your can't night fish? Most barbel anglers fish at night, so most are caught at night IMO :)
Cheers mate 👍

Back