• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

river feeder rod

Gary Wagstaff

i looking to buy a new river feeder rod but would like the tip sections to have larger eyes than the normal quiver tips
i fish the ribble so 12/13ft new or second hand any suggestion .have been round the local tackle shops but cannot find a rod to suit
thanks gary

Tricky one Gary,
I would imagine that the size of the eyes have to be relative to the diameter of the tip.
My old Greys Prodigy. [1.75 and 1.5 twin tip] has 3 tips for the 1.5 which all have large eyes compared to most quivers. Must say I've never used the quivers for barbel though.
Maybe it's worth thinking outside the box and having a look at flattie or light estuary rods?

Gaz, if you want to try a Greys Prodigy that Dave mentions, ive a couple of various models that your more than welcome to borrow. 2.0 tc model, also comes with a tip carrier section with various tips, also have a greys x flite, comes with a 1.5 tc top, a 2.0 tc top, and a tip carrier section, again with various tips. PM me if interested. :)

p.s. both rods 12ft.

Last edited:
If you already have a suitable rod then simply get your QTs re whipped with arger eyes. Any good tackle shop should be able to do it or a rod builder.

Plug in quivers with Size 7 to 6 guides on Harrison with K series:
pt1quivers.jpg

Works well for the heavier quiver tips. Ones shown are a mixture of carbon and glass.

Cheers
Bob

Gaz GO on Ebay

eBay item number:281115528735

John Wilson Avon Quiver Deluxe 11-13ft Rod, Barbel, River Fishing *SALE* £47.00 Postage:Free

Hi men,

Derek , offers like that is what BFW is about , after all the negative stuff that's a nice change .

Hatter

Question ?

Gaz

What is it your fishing for ?

Is it just for barbel, or roach and chub too ?

What I'm getting at is: You need to have a think about what you want the rod to be capable of doing. I.e what weight you will be casting, what river conditions it will cover (low,medium,high water) what methods you will be using, what strength of tips will you need, etc......

There's nowt worse than buying a rod that doesn't do what you want it to do !

Gaz

What is it your fishing for ?

Is it just for barbel, or roach and chub too ?

What I'm getting at is: You need to have a think about what you want the rod to be capable of doing. I.e what weight you will be casting, what river conditions it will cover (low,medium,high water) what methods you will be using, what strength of tips will you need, etc......

There's nowt worse than buying a rod that doesn't do what you want it to do !

chub and roach terry but them barbel muscle in at times

Get one if you can !

Hi Mate

I got a harrison sullis (off the shelf twin tip rod) earlier this year, that is perfect for for silver fishing on the ribble ;)

The quiver is built in, but is sensitive enough for gentle roach bites and has a beautiful soft action, but at the same time, wont fold over when there's a couple of ft on, it matches perfect with 8lb mainline and can chuck a filled 2oz feeder where you want and will cope with the unexpected barbel. You also have the bonus of the avon top (think its 1.6oz tc) that is great low/medium levels and great for trundling meat ;)

I got it off ebay (brand new) for £80 :eek: It is an old model rod, but can't recomend it highly enough for that sort off fishing.

If you can find one, you certainly won't regret it !

Not sure if they still make them or what the model numbers are anymore since moving over here but the various Daiwa 11/13ft feeder rods have always been pretty good. They take a range of quivers and you can usually buy a separate method top as well, so gives you a lot of options.

Daiwa make the ultimate big river feeder rod 13.5 foot rung with k series guides with an rrp of around £500.
Its a top bit of kit.

bag a sand for a pair, ?????? they would have to be good for that doe, john then another 400+ on reels ,starts getting dear,and thats on one set of rods

bag a sand for a pair, ?????? they would have to be good for that doe, john then another 400+ on reels ,starts getting dear,and thats on one set of rods

That's what I thought, and still think it's a lot of dosh for a rod, any rod, but having a look at the rods specs it is a rod a I would love to own. It was designed for those big waters on the continent but would be a great tool for the Lwr Severn / Trent Thames etc, the HQ version will manage feeders / leads up to 6oz's so no pussy either.

Best price I can find is c.£399.

Check out the Shakespeare Agility rods. Come in 12, 13 @ 14ft versions that are good quality and great value for money. Some of my mates have bought them for the Trent and are very happy.

Check out the Shakespeare Agility rods. Come in 12, 13 @ 14ft versions that are good quality and great value for money. Some of my mates have bought them for the Trent and are very happy.

Got to agree with you on them rods Andrew.

Sean

Check out the Abu surevan 11-13ft with dolly but section, brill light feeder rod for stills or rivers. Lovely looking rod as well. :)

Back