• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Erewash

Hi guys,
can anyone help me with any info about the river erewash. I only live 5 minutes walk from the river at toton, but cant find any recent info. (2011 is the last I can find). Now I have just sent an email to the river erewash foundation about joining there working party. I believe the river was stocked with barbel and grayling in recent years but wondered if they had spread from the original stocking to the area near to me. I also believe that no club tickets are available for the river and basically it is open to all, though I would contact the landowners for permission.

Thanks for your help,
Ady

Hi Ady,

Firstly welcome to BFW.

It's only recently that the Erewash has started to come back into a reasonable state having a legacy of industrial/sewage/urban inputs with relatively little dilution. I think it still receives the odd pollution that keeps its quality subdued. This is why I'd imagine it's a free for all & that no clubs are that interested for the moment.

I'd probably contact the EA to enquire as to the outcome of the Erewash stocking policy or have a close season reccy as it warms up on a likely spot or two from time to time given your proximity.

I'd imagine that a few fish swim upstream from the Trent from time to time.

Cheers, Jon

Hi Jon,
I know the erewash reasonably well but not from a fishing perspective from my youth, was always messing about down there. I believe it was stocked about 4 miles upstream from where I now live a few years ago. It no longer flows directly into the Trent, instead it goes into attenborough gravel pits. I want to find a patch away from the footpaths so I can have some sucluded evenings. Will have to get out this spring and bait up a few likely spots.

Thanks for the input buddy.

Hi Adrian,

Its a lovely spot at Attenborough Nature reserve / confluence to the Trent - spent a fair bit of time on my bike round there when I used to be a study-ant at Notts. There's an (slightly) similar flow regime on the Anker around Polesworth where there's three sizeable inline lakes and I have seen photo's of reasonable sized barbel caught from the most upstream lake in Autumn. One young lad had a 30lb plus carp & a 12lb barbel in a session - the barbel giving a better account!

The anker then was a slight flow after a protracted dry period & learning point for me then was how far barbel can migrate to seemingly different water types than what on paper is written they prefer.

Same as you matey, the idea of spending some time on secluded, local spot, ideal.

Cheers, Jon

Last edited:
Bain of my life the Erewash is! Had Grayling, Trout, Chub and everything else out the river last season but no ruddy barbel. They are there and I have seen a shoal in the upper river but it has been tough trying to entice them out. River is in a pretty good environmental condition by all accounts, testament to this given by the fact of the Grayling are spawning and new year classes coming through. Will have my first Erewash Barbel next season. For further information check this site out. Welcome to the River Erewash Foundation (REF) Winners of 2010 Mayors Award | www.rivererewashfoundation.co.uk

Thanks guys,
I have been in contact with the river erewash foundation and will be joining them soon. This should be a step in the right direction and it will be good to get involved with the group. Justin I would like to catch a grayling as I have never done so before. I usually fish the trent local to me and have had some good results this season but I am now looking to try out the erewwash for a more intimate style of fishing. Here is my email if anyone would like to contact me privately. ady12345n@tiscali.co.uk
Many thanks for your input, Ady

Adrian ,sorry i'm a little late seeing this ,i'm a member of the erewash foundation .and we've put a lot of grayling in which should be comming on this year .being at toton the stretch by the community center is worth a walk as is the releif channel the other side the playing fields ,and you can walk upstream from the centre to the wier .

stantongate is the area to go looking for barbel ,just remember come june they'll dissapear into their hidy-holes ,theres two sections here north and south (upstream & down stream of the road bridge) to explore .time spent familiarising yourself here will pay dividends later ,dusk is the best times to fish come summer ,well if we get one that is .i'll look forwards to meeting you at one of the meetings .

thanks for the info Steven and I look forward to meeting up with the ERF members. Are there many anglers as well as working party members. What kind of things does the group get up to and how regularly. So in my area I can hope to find chub and grayling? and the area for barbel is up and down from MB lane? I only fish evenings and nights so this should be a good time after first searching out the fish, plus I always fish alone. Mainly because of the hours im there but also because not many seem to fish the rivers anymore. There missing out. Ive had a good season on the local Trent but now am seeking a different kind of challenge and fish with a little more finesse.

Cheers Ady

we have social evenings ,we just had the annual fundraising auction night ,and last week was the trophey night we also have regular fly tying nights (well it is a mixed fishery ,so we have a mix of both coarse and trout anglers) there is a few social events this year to come yet & a couple of fish-ins .i'll look through my e-mails ,i should have a list of activities ,then i'll Pm you the list .

Thanks guys,
I have been in contact with the river erewash foundation and will be joining them soon. This should be a step in the right direction and it will be good to get involved with the group. Justin I would like to catch a grayling as I have never done so before. I usually fish the trent local to me and have had some good results this season but I am now looking to try out the erewwash for a more intimate style of fishing. Here is my email if anyone would like to contact me privately. ady12345n@tiscali.co.uk
Many thanks for your input, Ady

Adrian if you fancy catching your first Grayling I can recommend the Derwent around Matlock. Loads of them, Trout and the odd Barbel. Great river. Also the Don is in the middle of Sheffield is a sure bet.

Thanks Justin, but i mention the erewash because it is really close to me. Idid fish at whatstandwell many years ago and all i caught was loads and loads of minnows on maggots. I did hook something large but I think it took one of the minnows as I was realing in and it dropped off before I saw it. I am hoping to find the erewash grayling so I can fish for them next winter as I couldnt catch on the Trent over this cold spell. Only had a small barbel since last november. Nevermind heres to the new season.

Back