• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River dearne

Chris Rapson

Be on my local river not had anything for a while and found 2 blue ropes with about 10 hook links on each, any Advice on who to contact about this

its a little like the wild west down there,total shame as its possibly got the biggest Barbel in Yorkshire in its shallow depths. I really don't know the answer, apart from self policing.

They claim that that's the sort of thing they want to be informed about. I've only previously reported pollution incidents to them but they did respond.

In my experience the EA don't want to know. They're basically only interested in checking licences (tax) and monitoring for minor bylaw infringements😴. The EA recommend that anglers report incidents such as this to the police. For monitoring and building up intelligence. There is a specific operation name and code number for reporting incidents to the police. These I don't have but are most likely available online or via the Angling Trust web site.

Sorry I can't be more positive, but I've been there myself, and unless it's salmon related, you're unlikely to get any action. This has been going on since the late 90's.

Certain areas have their own voluntary bailiff scheme...such as the Fens.

Back