• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Chew (Keynsham AA Waters)

The concrete channel has been there for as long as I've known it, so at least since the early-mid 80s. So you could well be right old man;). But it's the weir in the memorial park I'm thinking of - way too high for even the most adventurous barbel to get over. I'm sure one or two would have got in during proper floods, but there have only been a couple that major that they went over the weir lip.

As for the BA below Keynsham - Keynsham weir is the furthest down I've ever known to be properly targeted by barbel anglers, and even that was a bit of a blip in the system as the "traditional" cut-off point was always Bathampton weir. Below that and down to the top of the tidal bit (aside from Keynsham weir) it's VERY deep, VERY slow, very few features, and almost canal like with a thick clay bottom, and all those areas have only ever been known for bream, roach and pike (and small eels - thousands of small eels). I'm not even sure I can recall a "freak" barbel capture anywhere down there, and I'm sure one would have been reported if caught during a match back in the days when matches were a regular occurrence and attended by hundreds of anglers (even Merv Haskins, who knew those lower reaches like the back of his hand, ventured further up to Claverton and Freshford for his barbel fishing).

Keynsham weir and the bit around the marina itself - there ARE still barbel there (you can often see them basking on the gravel in the summer, and I've seen several big girls), but most of that whole area is now a private carp syndicate (£160 a year with a waiting list the last time I asked about it, purely out of incredulous interest given it all used to be free fishing round there back in the 90s), with a small bit I think with Keynsham AA.

Chew grayling - I know absolutely nothing about the uppermost reaches, but there are a LOT around Chewton Keynsham and Compton Dando (which is where most of the barbel stockings have taken place), but they thin out by the time you get to Keynsham (primarily because the water is too slow running).

And Keynsham park - I'm sure I've mentioned on here before I had a go once and NEVER had the desire to do it again. Urban fishing just doesn't appeal to me at all. You boys that do enjoy it are all masochists, FACT!

My point I suppose was, that in the event that Barbel did populate the Chew, what damage would that cause to this little River, in that it is so diverse, and can you imagine hoardes of Barbel anglers descending? I can't recall the concrete channel Steve, perhaps it's a fairly new addition, like the 70's? :D . But Barbel being the great pioneers would find such a hurdle not beyond them, would you think?
What I really don't get, is the vast amount of river below Keynsham seemingly not producing Barbel? Perhaps any fish are kept quiet, but they surely have to be there, probably as far down as St Anne's, where I was born.....again probably just fanciful thinking but I would love it if someone could confirm they are there.
Back to the Chew...I used to fish the middle reached, around Pensford, and Publow, the Trout, mostly Brownies were plentiful, but not any Grayling, the only Grayling I caught was in Keynsham Park, that was a bit of a free for all, and it was a wonder we ever got out of there alive...as Bob will confirm.:)
Found a spot that had loads of grayling (above Pensford) but generally kept it quiet. Spent many happy day there although trout were a problem.
Dapps Hill used to be a favourite stop off point to catch minnows while on the way to do some perch fishing on the K&A canal - it was wild and shallow (silted up) then and no boat traffic Never saw many pike on the Chew, except lower down where it joined the Avon. The allotments area had a nice stamp of roach.
Great memories.
Cheers
Bob

Have heard of barbel coming out below chequers weir but not caught them myself.

Have heard of barbel coming out below chequers weir but not caught them myself.
Yes I thought Chequers would produce, do you fish that far down Andy?,I know you fish Lacock etc, but seems to be the Lower Avon is somewhat left alone by Barbel anglers. I used to fish the Shepherds boathouse below the weir at Keynsham, and occasionally saw big fish breach out of the water, knew nothing about Barbel back then, so assumed they were Salmon!! Shepherds boathouse is long gone, and I believe it's very private, but would love to cast a line there for old times sake.

Hi Neil Not fished below chequers weir for quite a few years to be honest but do occasionally fish opposite fry`s as its not far from my home so go there for the odd short session when i don`t want to drive out to bath.

Fished the Avon down to St Anne's many years ago.
Quite surprised at what was in there, which was evident during some of the pollution caused by the chemical works upstream of St Anne's Board Mill. Worked there (at St St Anne's Board Mill) for a few years. and saw some quite serious fish kill.
Cheers
Bob

Old geezers reminiscing..:). talking of feeding fish in their breaks..worked at Harrison's bacon factory in Calne, for the Min of Ag, my job was to weigh the bacon pigs and check for in growing testacles, someone had to!
Used to feed huge Chub from the balcony in the River Marden that ran by the factory, with scrap pig offal.

Back