• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River carp tips

Having never caught a carp out the river I was wondering if anyone on here knows of a stretch on the lower severn which I would stand a good chance of bagging one(pm if prefered) and any tips on bait, whether the margins are a good option or fishing the middle. Not done alot on the lower so any help is much appreciated.

BAA bushley stretch Charles, no real secret so I dont mind posting, fish the margins though, hemp or partiblend seed will do you well and if you think the margins are too shallow just take a walk down and see how many carp you disturb there its quiet a sight.

Tight lines and best of luck

Avvy

Apologies there is also the Birds meadow/ripple stretch too, if your not a member they do day tickets in advance or local suppliers,

BAA

Check out the where to fish section.

If its dry you can drive along the river bank on birds meadow stretch.

Hope this helps,

Avvy

Why don't you do some leg work and find out for yourself? Everyones a swim chaser these days, wanting it all on a plate....

Why don't you do some leg work and find out for yourself? Everyones a swim chaser these days, wanting it all on a plate....

A very helpful reply, insert smiley sarcastic thing here. if you don't want to give any information don't but the chap only asked.

Thanks Chris Avis for the help,

Chris Hill, I asked advice an a stretch(not swim) which in general can be a few miles in length. Unfortunately it's around an hours drive to the lower Severn for me and having a young family and a full time job my time is extremely limited(only go fishing now once a month) so when I do go I like to try and get a few bites if possible and do some leg work when there, as they say local advice is always going to help.

That is precisely the attitude we do not need nor want in BFW, if you have nothing helpful to offer to such a question you might want to consider giving your fingers a rest!!

Last edited:

Wow what a negative post, without degenerating this into a "you said I said" thread Chris you need to chill out mate, Im not sure of the reason of your angry post but the lower severn is a huge place fella it takes time and effort put in to get results. All I was doing was steering Charles in the general direction. If Ive trod on your stomping ground and opened up to the circus I apologise profusely, but fishing is all about enjoying yourself, promote the sport mate get a friend and introduce it to them and excuse the pun they will be hooked.

Avvy

Wow what a negative post, without degenerating this into a "you said I said" thread Chris you need to chill out mate, Im not sure of the reason of your angry post but the lower severn is a huge place fella it takes time and effort put in to get results. All I was doing was steering Charles in the general direction. If Ive trod on your stomping ground and opened up to the circus I apologise profusely, but fishing is all about enjoying yourself, promote the sport mate get a friend and introduce it to them and excuse the pun they will be hooked.

Avvy

Chris, you must surely have seen it many times on different forums. People after information on the hot stretches etc. A lot of good anglers I know don't publicize their catches any more because of these swim chasers. And there is a world of difference between taking a mate and helping them out, and some bloke you don't know from Adam on forum. Absolutely forums are there for sharing information, it just came across that the OP wanted it handed on a plate rather than just a push in the right direction.

Chris, you must surely have seen it many times on different forums. People after information on the hot stretches etc. A lot of good anglers I know don't publicize their catches any more because of these swim chasers. And there is a world of difference between taking a mate and helping them out, and some bloke you don't know from Adam on forum. Absolutely forums are there for sharing information, it just came across that the OP wanted it handed on a plate rather than just a push in the right direction.

You could have worded that original post of yours a lot better, it cam across if im truely honest as very negative and aggresive to a guy who was just asking a question. I understand where youre coming from and the circus that follows the big fish catches in the weeky fish wrappers but if a fish on the lower is caught doesnt mean its going to be caught again by some avid reader of the times or mail as he has read of a particular capture in that area.
I frequent the lower severn a fair bit (fuel prices allowing) And I'm pretty sure there are barbel that could threaten,or smash Graham Kings British record, the fact is if you have gone up or down the lower severn in a boat you see a small amount of anglers compared to volume of water. The british record is in there somewhere, you just have to find her first.........anyway Im digressing......share the wealth and knowledge fella it actually makes you feel good.

Avvy:cool:

Avvy
Could you tell the Ivel barbel police this?

I wasn't after a specific swim Chris and I would consider asking for a stretch to try if I could quote you as "a push in the right direction" given the size of the lower severn and not handed on a plate as there is a good chance I will still need to locate the fish, if I was fishing and someone I didn't know from Adam asked for advice I would never tell them to go and find out for themselves I would always try and help if I could, I don't see how asking on a forum is that different?

A tip I read on another forum was that confluences are good features. Helped me snare my first Severn Carp last season.

My two-pennarth for what it's worth :-

I do understand the sentiment behind not naming stretches, but if you are not willing to share, say nowt.....................If you are, do what I do and send a PM.
The Lower Severn is a huge river, you could be fishing the wrong part of the right swim without even knowing it !!
The days of publicly and freely sharing info are sadly long gone due to people who are unfortunately willing to take info and give nothing in return (lurkers).
Good luck with your quest Charles, my only encounters with Severn Carp have been whilst Barbel fishing and have resulted in one hook-pull at the net (big girl too) and one unstoppable fish which picked up a margin bait and snagged me !!!

Charlie if you go back to page 46 on the Barbel talk forum and look at the thread .
Upton fish rescue , Photos over two days in May 2012 That might help point you in the right direction as to where the Carp might be :)

Charlie if you go back to page 46 on the Barbel talk forum and look at the thread .
Upton fish rescue , Photos over two days in May 2012 That might help point you in the right direction as to where the Carp might be :)

Photoshop Joe - That post stops short :D

steve-cole-albums-other-stuff-picture4464-photoshop.jpg

Just had a look at the suggested page and was amazed to see just how many carp are in the lower severn, I didn't realise they were there in such numbers. :eek:

Back