• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River carp in deep water

Clive Shipman

Senior Member & Supporter
I've recently decided to waste half a season chasing some mythical carp in a deep stretch of my local river. These fish don't seem to show themselves and on all of my visits I've seen very little activity even in this warm weather. I have been told by a local house holder on the river that she has seen some very big fish and a guy who match fishes the stretch says it has some very big carp. I know it had fish to over 30lb 20 years ago but no one has really targeted them since the otters arrived. I have started baiting one swim (the closest to the ladies house 800m away) primarily with pellets and boilie's three times a week (about 2kg) but a carp fishing buddy recommended chick peas maize or just boilie's so the bait last longer in the water and isn't destroyed by smaller species giving the carp time to find them (if they even exist😆).
So the river itself isn't big (Bristol Avon) and ranges from 20 to 25ft deep in places with little flow being some 600m above a weir. It has a very firm bottom and a few trees in the water here and there. So my question is any tips or hints on how to get the best out of the situation. I have fished mainly evenings as I'm not a over night kind of guy but have also been recommended that early mornings may be better. Any insights will be welcome.

I spent a bit of time a couple of yrs back chasing Ouse carp from a stretch with limited numbers, was good fun and had some nice fish
From my limited experience I would suggest:
Carp like to show themselves so spend some time looking at dawn and dusk
They can be nomadic so once found do some prebaiting
They move about in small groups
There not fussed about bait or rig shy like their lake cousins so don’t overthink it….exception is surface rigs!
Strong tackle because shit they fight hard
Once you’ve caught one or two they will be off despite any baiting so finding them starts again
Unlike barbel I found they hated flood conditions
They loved floating baits… but I couldn’t catch off the top no matter what I tried (I might just be shit at it)
It’s very addictive stuff!! Biggest I had was this one that thought it was a steam train late for work
IMG_0661.jpeg

Keep looking for them, then bait it steadily and fish it early and late.

And as AP said, use decent gear so when you hook a big fish you land it.

Hasn’t the BA produced a 40? I’ve certainly heard of upper 30’s a while back.

The local canal (Kennet and Avon) produced a 40 in Trowbridges Staverton marina

I’ve only ever caught the odd river carp by accident and only small ones, certainly not to the sizes you’re looking at.

So I’ve no advice to offer apart from good luck Clive. A BA river carp would be a fantastic achievement😊

Last edited:
I spent a bit of time a couple of yrs back chasing Ouse carp from a stretch with limited numbers, was good fun and had some nice fish
From my limited experience I would suggest:
Carp like to show themselves so spend some time looking at dawn and dusk
They can be nomadic so once found do some prebaiting
They move about in small groups
There not fussed about bait or rig shy like their lake cousins so don’t overthink it….exception is surface rigs!
Strong tackle because shit they fight hard
Once you’ve caught one or two they will be off despite any baiting so finding them starts again
Unlike barbel I found they hated flood conditions
They loved floating baits… but I couldn’t catch off the top no matter what I tried (I might just be shit at it)
It’s very addictive stuff!! Biggest I had was this one that thought it was a steam train late for workView attachment 31263
They come out every season on the offord stretches around the carpark pool and triangle. Not in big numbers but enough to be a viable target.

Good 20’s and it’s done 30’s before
Cheap ticket if you fancied another crack at it. I don’t fish for them but I’d be happy to share the popular locations with you Al

They come out every season on the offord stretches around the carpark pool and triangle. Not in big numbers but enough to be a viable target.

Good 20’s and it’s done 30’s before
Cheap ticket if you fancied another crack at it. I don’t fish for them but I’d be happy to share the popular locations with you Al
Cheers Rich will bear it in mind in future, but for now I’m going to be concentrating my efforts in trying to catch a huge Barbel I spotted in the Ouse last season….if it’s still there🤞

I've been doing similar on the Warwickshire Avon. I was recommended tiger nuts and hemp by a couple of guys. Easy to use and avoids bream. Nearest I have come to actually catching one this season was late afternoon on floating crust. Just got a few feeding before another club member came stomping up behind me to see what I was doing :mad: Early morning seems favourite.

Attachments

• IMG_7368.JPG
    IMG_7368.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 65
I've recently decided to waste half a season chasing some mythical carp in a deep stretch of my local river. These fish don't seem to show themselves and on all of my visits I've seen very little activity even in this warm weather. I have been told by a local house holder on the river that she has seen some very big fish and a guy who match fishes the stretch says it has some very big carp. I know it had fish to over 30lb 20 years ago but no one has really targeted them since the otters arrived. I have started baiting one swim (the closest to the ladies house 800m away) primarily with pellets and boilie's three times a week (about 2kg) but a carp fishing buddy recommended chick peas maize or just boilie's so the bait last longer in the water and isn't destroyed by smaller species giving the carp time to find them (if they even exist😆).
So the river itself isn't big (Bristol Avon) and ranges from 20 to 25ft deep in places with little flow being some 600m above a weir. It has a very firm bottom and a few trees in the water here and there. So my question is any tips or hints on how to get the best out of the situation. I have fished mainly evenings as I'm not a over night kind of guy but have also been recommended that early mornings may be better. Any insights will be welcome.
Clive
You said the bottom.was firm but didn't say what it is.
I'm guessing gravel?
In which case, Hemp would be the best way forward in my opinion for pre-baiting.
Hemp gets right in the gravel and will pull fish in for many days on end.
I've baited remote swims with Hemp and watched barbel move in a week later and start grubbing about.
It's particularly useful if you can't get down every few days to bait up .
Good luck

Hard gravel John yes thanks for your comment I'll bear that in mind and try that this week.

Back