• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Arun Barbel.

I used to fish for carp for some 20 years but I've been out of the fishing game a while, mainly spinning for bass in the summer and a little bit of perch fishing in the colder months. But now I have a new target in mind. A river Barbel! And a double figure one dare I say!? Ive had them out of lakes before, but as a purist I discount them. Unfortunately living on the south coast and not being able to travel too far I'm somewhat limited on my intended quarry. But I have acquired a new ticket on a few stretches of the river Arun and a about a mile of the rother. Fish have been caught from both but they are not prolific and somewhat scarce it seems, although the British record has come from nearby and has frequented the Arun in the past. So it leaves me optimistic in my quest for a barbel. Have any of you ever fished the Arun before? as I can find very little information, but also the lack of information draws me to it in a way. Thanks in advance Aaron.

Welcome to the forum Aaron. I’m assuming you have joined Petworth or Pulborough AS?
I asked a similar question re barbel in the Arun & Rother a few years back as I live in Sussex.
The general response was ..” bloody hard going. Some members don’t catch from one season to the next. “
As long as your expectations aren’t too high I’m sure you wil enjoy the lovely Sussex countryside and catching will be a bonus.
It hasn’t put me off joining next season.
Tight lines.

I joined pulborough, but I am on the list for that club next season 🤞🏻 yes here I've got a task on my hands. Tbh I'm cherishing that and probably a good job to from what I'm hearing. Perhaps I'll see you on bognor and Petworth next season then 🤞🏻

I remember Dave Chambers telling me he had caught the same Barbel 17 miles apart from the Arun and Rother. He also thought that sometimes on the Arun you could be fishing 17 miles from the nearest Barbel they are very mobile.

I remember Dave Chambers telling me he had caught the same Barbel 17 miles apart from the Arun and Rother. He also thought that sometimes on the Arun you could be fishing 17 miles from the nearest Barbel they are very mobile.
Yer I can imagine that being true aswell. But I suppose if you haven't got a rod in the water there even further away

It's very hard and it seems to get harder every year. I've had a few, nothing like Dave had, bless him, but I had a 15lb fish from each - and was happy with that. Nobody has seen the record fish for 2+ years now, so that's off the table. Some decent pike still about in the Arun and a few carp, though the Adur is probably a better bet for both those species.

Back