• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

RIP Terry Lampard

I met Terry Lampard a few years back now;
I was fishing the Avon for well, whatever took my bait, during an early december. Not having done much static fishing, I started moving a little. Walking upstream, float rod in hand, I noticed on the far side of the river a great number of fish looking to move upstream, up Burgate weir to be precise. I decided I had had enough of the fishing and packed up to drive around to the other side of the river to where I had seen these jumping fish. Having parked up, making my way towards the weir I came across Terry Lampard fishing a swim of some repute for big roach. I politely asked how he was getting on. From memory he answered similar to what mine had thus far been. I remember thinking at the time he was so very easy to speak to, never awkward, not at all like some anglers of the Avon that close down like a limpet when approached. I told him of my day and what had brought me there, camera in hand, and with an equal interest in finding out what these fish were, packed up, grabbed his camera and walked with me to find out.
We sat by the side of the Burgate weir, each of us taking pictures, sharing them and comparing them, of these salmon so rarely seen in these numbers and in such close proximity for what must have been an hour or so. It was really great fun, both of us prone to the odd giggle when either of us managed to capture a good one. I met him in the local tackle shop a few weeks after that afternoon. He spoke with a seeming great boyish enjoyment about it, even then.
I could never say that I knew Terry Lampard, and who really knows what fishing gives to some anglers (some I have met you'd think it was the bane of their lives), from what little I knew of him however, I could say he seemed an eminently approachable, especially amiable and very down to earth person. As such, I'm quite sure he will be very sorely missed.

Damian

Really sad - Terry was obviously an excellent fisherman, but more importantly, a genuinely decent person.
My condolences to his family and friends.

Terry Lampard

A true angling legend who will be sorely missed by the angling world. Despite all the awards he collected throughout his angling life, he always remained extremely modest. Condolences to his family.

Nick C

The angling world has lost a true gentleman of angling, Terry was a man who would help anyone at anytime. I well remember the first time I met at Terry at White Mill Bridge on the Dorset Stour when we were both seeking the big roach in those far off days. My sympathies to his family and friends. Let’s also not forget angling artist John Searle who is also gravely ill with stomach cancer. My thoughts are with John's family

Tragic, that was what came to mind when a friend phoned me here in Australia last night with the news of Terry's untimely passing.

Here was a man that was probably one of the finest all round anglers that the sport has ever seen. He was up there with the angling greats and was a thoroughly nice fella as well. I spent a fair bit of time bumping into him on "special" areas of the Stour in the late 80s chasing big barbel and chub and he always had time to have a quick chat. He was always generous with information and time, never short or uncommunicative as some could be at times.

My thoughts go out to Terry's family and friends at this time. Spare a thought too for Tim Norman who has been Terry's fishing partner for many many years.

RIP Terry. It was a priviledge to have shared some time with you.

Back