• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ringtones For Bite Alarms

Howard Cooke

I think I may have spotted an enormous gap in the fishing tackle accessories market: Ringtones for bite alarms.

Quite possibly the most magical event in fishing is the bite itself. Whether it's a float dipping, the rod tip violently bending or even a flaccid swingtip rising to its firm, pointy-outy position. And then we have the modern bite alarm. Rather than truly celebrating the magic that has just occurred, it simply lets out a long, often ear splitting beep that is both annoying and deeply disrespectful to the moment.

Wouldn't you rather that the moment was actually captured, celebrated even, by one of your favourite songs? I would. "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath or "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen. Or "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple. There are simply thousands to choose from. Also, if on the bank alongside many other anglers with bite alarms armed, you can more easily recognise whether it is in fact your rod that has roared off (there's another idea, the alarm could be the sound of an angry lion. Or you could have the sound of someone's back being waxed-"the right hand rod has just ripped off"). This would save a great deal of embarrassment as you emerge from your bivvy in a state of bewilderment and panic wearing nothing more than your great aunties undergarments (because they bring you luck) only to find that it's your next door neighbour who is firmly into battle on his left hand rod.

I would caution against songs by The Pet Shop boys though or Celine Dion. Possible also the theme tune to Eastenders or The Antiques Road Show.

What do you reckon? I have just invested £100k in the technology but just wanted to check you all thought its a flyer.

Cheers.

Great idea. Put me down for 'Popcorn' by Hot Butter. My mate's gonna love getting that for crimbo!

Could you invest another 50K and invent one that works on line tension from the reel? Then you could have the Bay City Rollers singing 'Bye Bye baby' for line breaks and hook-pulls....:rolleyes:

PS Will these be available as an iphone app?

Hi men ,

Wham - wake me up before you gogo ?.

The ratchet sound of a centerpin spinning for all those traditionalist pin users who don't use buzzers ! , then it would be in stereo !:D.

Hatter

Perhaps Deano should have the Steely Dan classic, 'Eelin in the Years'.

With the season I'm having, I should have the CeCe *****ton song 'Finally'.

Back