• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rig storage?

Rob Paylor

What does everyone use for storage of long hook links? I'm currently using a gardener rig bin which as good as it is, is actually rather bulky and takes up a good chunk of space in the rucksack for something that takes 10 made up rigs. I'm thinking of getting something perhaps with little pouches where I can coil up the hook links and pack them in flatter than the rig bin. Interested to hear what others use and rate ;)

What does everyone use for storage of long hook links? I'm currently using a gardener rig bin which as good as it is, is actually rather bulky and takes up a good chunk of space in the rucksack for something that takes 10 made up rigs. I'm thinking of getting something perhaps with little pouches where I can coil up the hook links and pack them in flatter than the rig bin. Interested to hear what others use and rate ;)
Hook wallet @Rob Paylor ...see my earlier post.

I rate these

A small version of the Gardner rig bin Rob. I find to easier packing up in the dark just winding a rig back onto the bin instead of messing around with packets and wallets. Suits me, perhaps not others.

There’s an identical thread that rich started also obtaining identical information.
Personally I don’t like any system which requires sticking the hook into something or a pin into something.
I hate plastic wallets too. Some of my rigs are 5 feet long and certainly ain’t going to be fun unraveling them out of a wallet.
For me greys had the solution with their rig board. No sticking or jabbing hooks n pins it’s just basically lego😎
Superb invention and a real shame it doesn’t seem to be around anymore unless you buy the complete tackle box system.
Two little drawers in it too which I keep my pellet and boilie stops in.

A simple bit of stiff closed cell EVA foam, Cut to fit the inside top of the large comp in my tackle box, cut a half dozen notches in each end , and wind six rigs around it, pushing the swivel in small swivel sized holes in one end and the hooks into the foam.
I rareley of ever use more than 3 hooklengths in a session, so thats plenty, one long and one short of each , hair rigs with captive bait stop, Hair rig with bait bands and Hair rig with plain hair loop. The hooklengths sometimes are a bit kinked by having been wound around the foam board but a quick stretch of the mono straightens them out, I never ever use braid so it doesnt come into the equation .

I also carry a spool of hooklength mono and a small box with various sized hooks so I can make up any different hooklengths to order as needed.

I hate the plastic "envelopes " as every hooklength seems to end up in a taffle, no time for rig boards, they take up too much room in my bag, and the pins get lost, I use something similar to the Guru rig winders that Cliff mentions, but only for my beach rigs.

Dave

Back