• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Richard Carter reels

Aaron Littlefield

Hiya - newbie here so please be kind! :)

I posted my first thread in the 'other fish' section on Richard Carter reels (plus some other queries)...I've been advised that this section is the more frequented with centrepin users, so I've kind of double posted.

I read somewhere online that Richard Carter *might* be making more reels - would anybody know what his contact details are? PM me if you know.

Currently trying to figure out which reel is best for me, and wondering if used RC reels ever come up for sale.

Thanks

Aaron

To give you some background, I've predominately been using Adcock Stanton's over the past 3 years for my angling (4.5", handles, ratchet)...not just for barbel but for general pleasure fishing for anything that bites. Normally I enjoy trotting the river, but I'm beginning to like the idea of ledgering using a centrepin.

I'm in the fortunate position to be able to consider a nice reel, I've got a few spare Adcock's now but fancy a more traditional reel akin to the aerials. I've got some ideas in mind and would welcome your input. My choices so far are:

1) A tidy (i.e. very clean and unmolested) Allcocks Match Aerial (but I'd imagine this would be around £250 at today's prices)

2) A pair of Fred Crouch Jet reels (not sure on width yet), are they as good as an originall Allcocks? Are they still available? :)

3) A Richard Carter reel: more of a fantasy really, I never see them for sale although I'd be tempted if one came up...(do these go for about £300?)

4) Chris Lythe reel: it would be a big expense - and I've heard there is a massive waiting list from other articles I've (12 months+?)

5) The final alternative is to buy a used Bob James centrepin or Youngs type reel.

I did own a Allcocks Match aerial but had to sell it due to redundancy a year ago, the handle was a bit loose on that one...is this normal with this model? It felt like a quality reel (narrow spool width), sadly I sold it before I could really use it.

If anybody has any suggestions please shout :)

Carters are excellent reel but they're as rare on the open market as rocking horse doo doo ! ,occationally one will surface ,but i wouldn't hold your breathe

the Match aerial's are ok ,but theres a lot of hammered ones about ,condition is king ,prices are quite ridiculous for just a ok aerial (a bit too shallow )

the fred crouch jet aerials are ok (but buy new ! ,the wide ones are better allround reels) ,as theres a few hammered secondhand ones about ) ok ,get a good one and it'll match a origanal match aerial

Chris lythe reels are superb reels and excellent value considering the work that goes into them ,but with a wait time of upto 2 years+ ,you've got too be patiant

the youngs ,bob james lightweight is a very capable and well liked allround reel .

another reel worth consideration would a Browning revolver (a true pin made by youngs for browning too very high spec ,in fact the only modern aerial with bushings as opposed too the bearings aerial clones ,youngs as made) theres one on ebay now ,these don't come up too often ,this one i think is over priced ,but worth keeping a eye on ,as if it doesent reach it reserve price may re-appear with a more realistic reserve shortly after .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110630715834

if your really into the match aerial style and want a really good one ,then take a serious look at the youngs heritage (the british fishing green one) ,these are a really great version (the best of the purist range) and at about £220 +/- ,you could afford one of these and a dragoncarp marco cortesi (Tf gears X-pin 4" ) plus change too buy new line for both ,use the dragoncarp reel for ledgering and the heritage for float fishing .

shop around on e-bay for a heritage ,theres usually one or two going for between £200- £220ish

buy your marco contesi direct from dragoncarp ,as theres a few sharks trying too make a quick buck on them ,dragoncarp should have fresh stock in soon .

Last edited:
Hiya - newbie here so please be kind! :)

I posted my first thread in the 'other fish' section on Richard Carter reels (plus some other queries)...I've been advised that this section is the more frequented with centrepin users, so I've kind of double posted.

Aaron

I've moved your other post to this forum Aaron

paul4

Back