• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Return To Barbel Fishing

Bill Ling

Hi folks,

I used to post on here quite regularly several years ago, but I haven’t even bothered getting a licence the last couple of seasons, since I got really into hiking with a walking group. Prior to that most of my fishing was for carp in the fairly limited waters in the North East (limited in quality compared to southern waters), and barbel on the Swale and Tees. I also caught barbel from the Severn on holidays, and had a few guiding days on the Kennet, London and Wye with Graham Elliott, who I am glad to see on here and still doing very well.

Anyhow, like many I am stuck at home for a while now (12 weeks as I have asthma, though not that bad to be fair). I started looking on here and reading a few online magazines etc and it’s got me gagging to get out on the bank again. So I just thought I’d ask on here if much has changed in terms of kit required (I’m guessing not). I’ve never been a real tackle tart, so tend to keep gear a long time. Mainly cos it’s so expensive and the wife moans when I spend all the money. 😂

I would probably be looking at fishing the Yorkshire rivers like the Swale mostly, but since my son lives in Nottingham now I thought it would be rude not to have the odd crack at the Trent.

My current barbel rods are a Shimano Beast Master Barbel Power and a Wychwood Rogue X Barbel rod. Both rods are 1.75lb TC and paired with Shimano Baitrunners in 4000 size (will have to check exact model). I assume that they will still be fine for the majority of my barbel fishing, but I assume for the odd trip to the Trent (particularly Tidal) I would be undergunned with those? Bearing in mind the limited number of trips (and the wife) I wondered if my carp setup would suffice? I have Nash Pursuits in 2.75lb TC coupled with Shimano Baitrunners in 6000 size (again will check exact model). I also have some Whisker Amorphous Dictator Z Carp rods in 2.75lb TC.

TIA for any guidance.

Bill

Hi Bill. Great to hear from you.

I think your gear will be fine. The lighter stuff for general summer and low level rivers and the big stuff for bigger flood types.

Personally maybe go for something like a 2.25 barbel rod if you want to spend a bit more.
Daiwa 12ft Powermesh about £135 a good choice.

Glad to hear you are back into fishing and hope I didn't put you off🤣

Sounds like your good to go to me.
Like Graham says the 1.75’s will cover most things in normal conditions and those 2.75’s will deal with the tidal Trent carrying some extra water I’m sure.
Reel combinations sound perfect.
I do agree with Graham in the respect a 2.0-2.25 through action rod is a nice power rating when the smaller rivers are carrying or the tidal rivers are low.
Not essential by any means but would fit neatly into the middle of your armoury.
Best of luck 👍🏻

Hi Bill,
I can’t add anything extra to what Graham and Richard have said other than welcome back to the fold. Don’t get hung up though on the “quality” of your local fish. I’m sure any 7lb fish from the Tees is worth a double from one of the southern rivers. You can only fish for what swims in front of you. 👍
Regards
BillW

Thanks for the advice, guys. Much appreciated. Haha. You didn't put me off, Graham. That trip on the Wye with you was my best day fishing ever. You took the photo in my profile pic!

I fished the Swale a lot in my younger days and it was one of the best fishing waters I’ve ever cast a line into for both barbel and chub.
It’s been many years since I’ve fished it now but while double figure barbel did come out (Just not so much on my line lol) they weren’t common.
It didn’t matter at all mind because in a river as powerful as the Swale those fish have a daily workout.
A 6lb fish could give you a proper buz. I’ve never caught barbel from any other river that go quite like a Swale barbel.
Below topcliff weir and upstream of Morton bridge were always good for a barbel or two after sunset.
The huge volume of chub in that river meant some serious sport on the right pegs during the day.
If it’s like it used to be then I’d be over joyed to have it sitting on my doorstep.

Back