• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Respect

id be careful of wishing for a fish of any size ade,i went supposedly tenching,getting breamed was bad enough,but 3 eels on placcy corn as well sent me home early:(

Any barbel is a good one, however, (and let's be honest every angler knows the weight of his/her PB) a big fish has to be measured in context. By this, I mean in relation to the current river record (although these may have been bettered but not reported) and as such my PB is my biggest but not my best, because the latter was 87% of the RR and took a lot of hard work to achieve.

Be it on the Ivel or wherever, back in the good old days a 7lber was the benchmark for a biggy.

Seeing some of the fish in the gallary and the claimed weights its unsurprising that people have squewed the benchmark for what constitutes a good fish. Doubles being the be all and end all now.

Big barbel are rarer than small barbel and that's why I hold them in higher regard. I do however enjoy catching all barbel and treat them all with respect.

Nick C

How many 8oz barbel you caught Nick ? :D

Like others have said , it is only natural to want to catch a whopper whether it be barbel or anything else . However I do feel slightly annoyed when you read catch reports along the lines of '' only had 3 doubles '' as if anything of a lesser size was only good for throwing up the bank .Us anglers can be queer fish at times ......

Love this quote!

I had a 7lber the other night like this great little fish.

On our river a 7lber is considered small but for us Barbel anglers in general a Barbel is a Barbel no matter the size.

The smaller they are the cuter they get, and its a good sign for a healthy river.
Ive caught some nice bigguns, but the fact of the matter is that the small ones who pull just as hard still make me smile.

In all honesty over the last couple of seasons i have suffered a barbel drought so the 8lber i caught in July meant an awful lot to me. However i still hanker after the larger specimens. But it's not necessarily the size that matters but the condition of the fish that's important.

Kind Regards
Andy

Back