• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Replacing bearings on a TF Gear Classic centrepin

Adam Francis

Hi all.

I have a couple of these reels and need to replace the bearings. I did have a look on YouTube but didn't see any videos or anything else online.

I will post pics tonight but the reel sections where the bearings are located on each reel are slightly different and I'm wondering how to get them out? The knob that tightens the reel doesn't come out as I've seen in other videos where they have just pushed the bearings through.

Oh and if anyone has a spare ratchet spring I'd happily pay as this needs replacing also.

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully this worked. 16908300339184550088327716681360.jpg16908300836876848044195848172616.jpg

That plate covering the bearing has two holes on one and 2 ears on the other. Have you tried putting something into those location points to see if it unscrews or eases out. They must be there for a reason

Thanks Richard. I did have an exploratory wiggle on the reel with the holes but thought I'd check before going further.
I'll have another go and see if I can remove it.

Thanks Richard. I did have an exploratory wiggle on the reel with the holes but thought I'd check before going further.
I'll have another go and see if I can remove it.
Don’t go mad it shouldn’t need a stupid amount of force. Try both ways incase it’s left hand thread.
A tiny pair of point nose pliers in the holes or ears and a twist in either direction should tell you what it wants to do

I will do. I need to replace the bearings in one of the reels - is there much difference between the ceramic steel hybrids and just steel?
There's little difference in price but it's obviously not an expensive reel in the first place.

Did see these fixes for a broken ratchet spring repair, the first one looks more reliable than a new spring. Do not know what the clip is called though, anyone know ?

Attachments

• tfg repair clip 2.jpg
    tfg repair clip 2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 109
  • tfg pin repair clip.jpg
    tfg pin repair clip.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 106
Did see these fixes for a broken ratchet spring repair, the first one looks more reliable than a new spring. Do not know what the clip is called though, anyone know ?
Are you referring to this clip Mark
IMG_1211.jpeg

I call them Yogi bear clips but the correct name is an E Clip

Well the pliers did the trick. Thanks everyone for the suggestion, I'm a bit of a novice with this stuff so appreciate the advice!

The spool came off anti clockwise & the usual array inside - 2 bearing, plastic tube & an o-ring. I'll take the other spool off later tonight & compare the bearings. The o-ring was bent but not sure that would affect the performance but I guess I can swap the bearings over & test?

Well the pliers did the trick. Thanks everyone for the suggestion, I'm a bit of a novice with this stuff so appreciate the advice!

The spool came off anti clockwise & the usual array inside - 2 bearing, plastic tube & an o-ring. I'll take the other spool off later tonight & compare the bearings. The o-ring was bent but not sure that would affect the performance but I guess I can swap the bearings over & test?
The next one with the plate being slightly slotted with a pair of ears rather than drilled could be more tricky to crack loose. I’d open my pliers up and get them firmly pressed into the slots then I’d put something of suitable size between the plier jaws to bite hold of and stop them pushing closed while you try undo the plate if that makes sense

Right again. I've had a few goes but it's a crazy design as it's rounded and the pliers keep slipping. Concerned I'm going to mark up the joint and I was only curious to see if the bearings made a difference in the other reel so I've given up on that one.
I've ordered some replacements so I'll see how they go once they've arrived and have fitted them.

Right again. I've had a few goes but it's a crazy design as it's rounded and the pliers keep slipping. Concerned I'm going to mark up the joint and I was only curious to see if the bearings made a difference in the other reel so I've given up on that one.
I've ordered some replacements so I'll see how they go once they've arrived and have fitted them.
If you do need to get it out by all means send the spool to me and I’ll remove that plate for you

Back