• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Repeat captures

Jeff Smith

The last seven barbel I’ve caught have all been in the 8-9lb bracket and all from the same swim.
It’s a low density stock river and my average catch rate is one fish every other session.
On the surface , the weights would suggest that these are two fish being recaptured but , having photographed each fish separately in the same position on the mat and, after close investigation comparing the pics side by side on two separate devices at the same time, they’re actually 7 individual fish.
I have had the odd recapture in the past fifty captures over a 1/4 mile stretch but ,it’s a rarity which is encouraging as it shows that a good number of fish are visiting the area.
Just wonder if anyone else out there is comparing their catches like this,and what they’re findings are?
I’m particularly interested to find out how far barbel will travel on a river as it would appear to me that, unlike pike which will often ‘take up residence’ in a particular swim, albeit for a limited time, barbel are more nomadic???

I have just one question in response to your post Jeff - where do you fish please? lol
Seriously, I think the nomadic nature of barbel is being highlighted by current population densities.

The last seven barbel I’ve caught have all been in the 8-9lb bracket and all from the same swim.
It’s a low density stock river and my average catch rate is one fish every other session.
On the surface , the weights would suggest that these are two fish being recaptured but , having photographed each fish separately in the same position on the mat and, after close investigation comparing the pics side by side on two separate devices at the same time, they’re actually 7 individual fish.
I have had the odd recapture in the past fifty captures over a 1/4 mile stretch but ,it’s a rarity which is encouraging as it shows that a good number of fish are visiting the area.
Just wonder if anyone else out there is comparing their catches like this,and what they’re findings are?
I’m particularly interested to find out how far barbel will travel on a river as it would appear to me that, unlike pike which will often ‘take up residence’ in a particular swim, albeit for a limited time, barbel are more nomadic???
I get afew recaptures every year and I absolutely take note of the identifiable marks on them. between me and afew mates that share their captures with me, I can certainly recognize a lot of them and see their growth rates, where they go and how they are getting on etc

We’ve got one that I caught in 2019 at 11,08 we call freckles. She’s doing fantastic as she came out to a mate of mine at a good 13 plus not long ago.
I’m looking forward to hopefully seeing her late season with a bit of pork on her.

They can move big distances on the Thames and they aren’t common - so recaptures happen. Often miles apart as they can and do swim through locks.

My mate hooked the same good fish twice last season and I had a big, very distinctive fish the year before that is a known fish.

In the days when I fished a prolific Bristol Avon it was similar - most of the bigger fish were recaptures. They moved in fairly predictable ways - mostly relating to time of year and flow levels.

Back