• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

renewrodlicenceonline

I swear there’s legislation going through currently to ban them. There’s been a lot of issues particularly with congestion charge ones etc, quite a high profile case about a couple who had a company based around these “services”. The trouble is not only that they charge for free things or that they pretend to be official but that they sometimes forget to complete the process leaving the “customer” in the lurch.
See below;
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-43309881

Are BFW adverts paid for by the advertisers or by a company who put there’s on or are they cookie generated? I haven’t seen that advert on BFW personally.

I swear there’s legislation going through currently to ban them. There’s been a lot of issues particularly with congestion charge ones etc, quite a high profile case about a couple who had a company based around these “services”. The trouble is not only that they charge for free things or that they pretend to be official but that they sometimes forget to complete the process leaving the “customer” in the lurch.
See below;
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-43309881

Are BFW adverts paid for by the advertisers or by a company who put there’s on or are they cookie generated? I haven’t seen that advert on BFW personally.
The advert just appeared in the header when I logged on last night

I suspect the ads are nothing to do with BFW but are, effectively, the way that the site is funded. They will be driven by a system that identifies the themes on the site and hence generates fishing treated banner ads. Not a lot that they can do about it really but it is appalling that such scams can be promoted unwittingly by websites and that the authorise have yet to take any action to protect the public from these thieves.

Dave

I find, the adverts that you see, are related to other sites that you've recently visited. Ive just logged in, and the header is showing the little tackle boxes on e-bay, that someone linked to, and i'd viewed. I'd guess, its something to do with cookies.

Keith, have you recently renewed your rod license ? ( legitimately ? ) Could be why that add showed up.

Last edited:
No Derek
I have a direct debit (don't know why everyone else doesn't?) I receive a letter every year in Feb telling me how much they are going to take and provided I don't cancel my licence arrives in March;)
I see the adds are generated by Google Ads so you are correct, I guess in allowing Google Ads admin can't be selective:rolleyes:

At some stage there’s going to be a scandal around Google and who comes out as top results and adverts, it’s certainly not generated quite as innocently as they like to make out. A lot of people don’t even realise about the premium listings services they offer and there not all good companies...

No Derek
I have a direct debit (don't know why everyone else doesn't?) I receive a letter every year in Feb telling me how much they are going to take and provided I don't cancel my licence arrives in March;)
I see the adds are generated by Google Ads so you are correct, I guess in allowing Google Ads admin can't be selective:rolleyes:

I don't, the reason being, i never know when my next outing is going to be. So if i paid for it in March, and didn't get out till say July, ive wasted 3 or 4 months worth of license. I buy online from here, ( https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences/buy-a-fishing-licence ), the day before i plan to go fishing. I just print the receipt off, and take it with me. That way, ive still got a full 12 months.

Last edited:
I suspect the ads are nothing to do with BFW but are, effectively, the way that the site is funded. They will be driven by a system that identifies the themes on the site and hence generates fishing treated banner ads. Not a lot that they can do about it really but it is appalling that such scams can be promoted unwittingly by websites and that the authorise have yet to take any action to protect the public from these thieves.

Dave

Nearly right Dave, the ads are served by Google, and personalised based on tracking 'cookies' in the web browser (they monitor what you search for, what you look at etc.) Rather than serving content related to fishing, they serve content based on your wider browsing preferences (right now mine is showing an ad for womens' shoes based on my wife's browsing behaviour...honest!). Because we all probably like like fishing, we see more fishing related ads.

BFW don't have any say or control over which ads get delivered, just the decision to include them in the page (which will generate some revenue for the site).

The Cabinet Office led a big clampdown on 'copycat' sites around 2014 after lots of folks started paying unnecessarily for 'services' that faciliated stuff you can do for free on gov.uk websites. Never really solved the problem (the answer is probably largely education).

Thanks for clarifying that Mike. I see that in the top right hand corner of the ad, there is a (very) small blue right arrow with an even smaller letter i inside it and if you click on that, it provides information on the Google ads and also provides the facility to either block specific ads or complain about them.....

Dave

There are many ad blocking apps available.
Adguard is very good and free without the premium service. Still blocks ads though.
A VPN will stop most ads too.
Firefox and Google have privacy browsers, Incognito for Google, private tab for Firefox, Opera has a built-in VPN.
Internet is much nicer without all the annoying ads.

Back