• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reels.

S

Steven Whybrow

Hi,ive been using the reel i use for pike fishing for barbel but it feels abit on the heavy side,iam using an shimano baitrunner 8000B, what should i be looking at for a decent barbel reel and is the baitrunner necessary.cheers ste.

IMO, you just need to scale down to a 5000 size, if you like the Shimano, you wont go far wrong with their 5000 Super Baitrunner XTE-A
RRP. £149.99
This web site www.poingdestres.co.uk does them for £92.99
Or keep an eye on Fleebay where you should pick one up for around £80-£85

Tight Lines
Paul

Hi paul ive actually got a shimano 6000 super baitrunner which i bought as a spare pike reel do you think this is to big/heavy.cheers ste.

The gear ratio's the same, so unless you intend travelling very light I don't see it being a major problem Steve, It will certainly be a lighter option to your Pike reel.

Paul

reels

hi paul ive had a shimano 6010gte over 10 yrs never had a problem with it would not use any other reels there the dogs! its great on the lower 7 and trent where you need to step up a bit , also got the 5000 for smaller rivers its a good all rounder!

Back