• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reels for trotting

I've got several and used them since they came out replacing some ageing Shimanos. Very nice to fish with, solid, great drag if you want/need it and look good too! Excellent reels IMO.

I think this is what im going to go for.

I've heard great things and one thing that I like is the spare spools are cheap and readily available as I like a variation of spools based on what I'm fishing for. It wont be a dedicated trotting reel but will be using it for my perch and chub fishing too.

I really love using a closed face with the Abu 501 being a clear favorite of mine
However i don’t rate them as big fish reels for several reasons.
They are rubbish for long trots because they don’t perform very well with much more than 50-60 yards of line,
Big fish can cause bedding issues with the line being pulled deep into the spool as it’s a very compact spool
There’s no smooth way to give fish line as it doesn’t matter if you back wind or use the synchronized clutch, you are still always reversing the bell housing which is a clumsy delivery.
There’s no power through the handle. The handle is too short and the gear train doesn’t apply enough torque to make it remotely fun for cranking big fish.

I know others do use them but for me they are short distance light tackle reels and then they are an absolute joy.

Another really important consideration into a trotting reel is sealing. Again I chose daiwa as I don’t believe their mag seal can be bettered and I’m frequently getting my trotting reels wet.
If you think you are going to do a lot of wading particularly past your waist line then definitely don’t overlook the reel’s ability to deal with an accidental dunk or two. It will happen occasionally if you do it frequently.

My choice of reel if I’m not going to use a pin is this. I find it ticks every single box perfectly for big fish, fixed spool trotting

They do crop up occasionally but worth waiting and paying for.
There’s also a super rare hi speed Version which are worth looking out for too.

If time and budget are not suited to getting a TDX then get the XR
IMG_2378.jpeg
IMG_2379.jpeg

Agree with your comments Rich - with closed face they're def not really designed for bigger fish and the line bedding in issue can be a pain (albeit not too problematic to resolve by respooling another 50M regularly) however the pay off is silly low weight and all day comfort / ease of use and usually tangle free . . .plus for bonus big fish they're damn good fun!

Another (cheaper) Daiwa to consider is the Ninja range - I use the small(ish) 3000A on my 10' pellet waggler rods and with the front drag they can handle double figure carp with no bother - might give them a go trotting next time

I’ve got a couple of ninjas and on the whole they’re great, although I do find light mono gets round the back of the spool. I don’t find that with light braid though.

I’ve also got an aero xr 3000 and it’s a real step up. Line never seems to go round the back, the handle doesn’t turn under its own weight (annoying if lure fishing) and I like the clutch more.

The ninjas are good value for money but I’d love another couple of the aero xrs instead.

I think this is what im going to go for.

I've heard great things and one thing that I like is the spare spools are cheap and readily available as I like a variation of spools based on what I'm fishing for. It wont be a dedicated trotting reel but will be using it for my perch and chub fishing too.
Good reels - I have 4
Several seasons in now on the Cs10s - no issues at all
Great for float work but I’ve had lots of barbel too on them on tip rods-will do everything you mention - nice reliable clutch , strong bail arm and excellent line lay
Good point re spools ,
I think you get a spare as standard and cheap enough to build a stock

Hey all,

Looking for some recommendations for a trotting reel paired with a 15' Acolyte plus.

Not considering centerpins, I want something that I can cast with too.

TIA!

Hi Rob, I've used the 15' Acolyte + for two winters now. Halfway through last winter I decided to change from on of the less expensive Diawa Ninja reels to something a little more expensive. Below is a post I put on my facebook page, regarding my new reel.

" Clarity, Christening & a Clean sheet!

Today I purchased a new reel for trotting from the 'doyens' of the supply of top quality fishing tackle, bait and banter!

"RINGWOOD TACKLE"!

I Christened the Daiwa 18TDR3012Q and kept a clean sheet, hooked 11 chub, landed 11 chub! Four from the Avon and then Seven from the Stour. Best from the Avon 4.8, best two from the Stour 5.0 and 5.10 (see photos). All on trotted maggot. The new reel is a dream, so smooth and with great cranking power.

One thing I've noticed this winter is the Clarity of the rivers, and the visibility this gives you when playing the fish. It's really interesting to see big chub on the far bank, in 6 feet of water burrowing for the snags, or staying deep under the rod top, doing figure of eight between the reed stems trying to shed the hook as they go.........fascinating stuff. " Photo of the 5lbs chub mentioned and the new reel on my 15'Acolyte + .

Attachments

• 334129090_1214036992574686_1639481693351072725_n.jpg
    334129090_1214036992574686_1639481693351072725_n.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 110
Being a Shimano lover i turned traitor for my trotting reels, I now use a PRESTON CENTRIS 420.
What a superb bit of kit, a Titanium shaft and Rotor, 7 bearings, a top clutch with a push button spool release, no more having to unscrew the top spool to remove it.
It weighs in at just over 300g, with a 150 m spool capacity and a 5.0:1 retrieve, it comes with two spools and a single and double handle.
Their are three options, a 320....420....520.
I bought these after meeting up with Dai Gribble who was using one whilst trotting for Chub on Throop, yes of course i manged to have a go with his rod and reel, this convinced me to buy one......then another...... then another, yes i have three.
A delightful line lay and flexible bail arm, the clutch is smooth.
Also a powerdrive. and two line clips,
Not cheap but an absolute pleasure to use, I now also use them for float fishing on still waters.
A deal going on at the moment at Angling Direct, from £164-99 down to £113-95.
Read the reviews on the website.

Being a Shimano lover i turned traitor for my trotting reels, I now use a PRESTON CENTRIS 420.
What a superb bit of kit, a Titanium shaft and Rotor, 7 bearings, a top clutch with a push button spool release, no more having to unscrew the top spool to remove it.
It weighs in at just over 300g, with a 150 m spool capacity and a 5.0:1 retrieve, it comes with two spools and a single and double handle.
Their are three options, a 320....420....520.
I bought these after meeting up with Dai Gribble who was using one whilst trotting for Chub on Throop, yes of course i manged to have a go with his rod and reel, this convinced me to buy one......then another...... then another, yes i have three.
A delightful line lay and flexible bail arm, the clutch is smooth.
Also a powerdrive. and two line clips,
Not cheap but an absolute pleasure to use, I now also use them for float fishing on still waters.
A deal going on at the moment at Angling Direct, from £164-99 down to £113-95.
Read the reviews on the website.
I still need to try out one of these.

Hi Rob, I've used the 15' Acolyte + for two winters now. Halfway through last winter I decided to change from on of the less expensive Diawa Ninja reels to something a little more expensive. Below is a post I put on my facebook page, regarding my new reel.

" Clarity, Christening & a Clean sheet!

Today I purchased a new reel for trotting from the 'doyens' of the supply of top quality fishing tackle, bait and banter!

"RINGWOOD TACKLE"!

I Christened the Daiwa 18TDR3012Q and kept a clean sheet, hooked 11 chub, landed 11 chub! Four from the Avon and then Seven from the Stour. Best from the Avon 4.8, best two from the Stour 5.0 and 5.10 (see photos). All on trotted maggot. The new reel is a dream, so smooth and with great cranking power.

One thing I've noticed this winter is the Clarity of the rivers, and the visibility this gives you when playing the fish. It's really interesting to see big chub on the far bank, in 6 feet of water burrowing for the snags, or staying deep under the rod top, doing figure of eight between the reed stems trying to shed the hook as they go.........fascinating stuff. " Photo of the 5lbs chub mentioned and the new reel on my 15'Acolyte + .
I’ve got one of those too, it’s a nice reel.
Although I do think the model before it was substantially better and I should of bought one of those really.
Daiwa took away the mag seal and gave it QD which in my opinion was two negative moves on the TDR.

Happy to pay if it's worth the cost.

Was looking at the cadence cs10 4000.
I have a Cadence CS10 4000 which came with a rod in a combo deal from Cadence. The combo added only £30 to the retail price of the rod so I would consider it a bargain.
Like others I prefer a centrepin for trotting but when I need to overcome the need for a little more distance the CS10 is my reel of choice. The faster retrieve when compared with a pin is a bonus.

I've got 3 x shimano 3000 Stradics. So won't be investing in any new trotting reels...
Have a few GTMs as well.
I am also happy with the 4000 for my feeder fishing.

If there is a fault With Steaducs it's the white body and you need to wash off with red maggots as they can go a nice pink...

I've got 3 x shimano 3000 Stradics. So won't be investing in any new trotting reels...
Have a few GTMs as well.
I am also happy with the 4000 for my feeder fishing.

If there is a fault With Steaducs it's the white body and you need to wash off with red maggots as they can go a nice pink...
3000GTM?

Everyone has their favourites Julian.

Probably lots of advice above. I think I suggested to Dave Taylor that he went for the 3000 Stradic and he also seems happy with it.

That's what I used with my IM9
Yes you did suggest the Stradic 3000s G. …good call.
I remember the day actually,….. it’s when you and the other 2 piss takers were standing behind me when I was wading Throop . I’d been having problems with the Exage 3000 all morning,… the line tucked behind the spool and I had to undo the front clutch to free it,… standing in the river.
I can still hear the laughter now!😂😂

Back