• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reels for trotting

Rob Holt

Senior Member & Supporter
Hey all,

Looking for some recommendations for a trotting reel paired with a 15' Acolyte plus.

Not considering centerpins, I want something that I can cast with too.

TIA!

Hey all,

Looking for some recommendations for a trotting reel paired with a 15' Acolyte plus.

TIA!
I’ve been very impressed with the Shimano aero XR in 4000 size, I have it on a Technium 15ft specimen match rod and it balances nice. I also like the Daiwa TDX but these are pretty pricey and hard to find these days. Not sure how it would balance on your rod but total tackle are doing a deal on daiwa TDRs https://www.total-fishing-tackle.co...disGCLdVgzeZQGRA2gWgKbgt5LpQtS_oPq2bs=.X856S9

I’ve been very impressed with the Shimano aero XR in 4000 size, I have it on a Technium 15ft specimen match rod and it balances nice. I also like the Daiwa TDX but these are pretty pricey and hard to find these days. Not sure how it would balance on your rod but total tackle are doing a deal on daiwa TDRs https://www.total-fishing-tackle.com/daiwa-18-tdr-qd-reel?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Black Friday Markdown - 6pm&_kx=NBMasOdisGCLdVgzeZQGRA2gWgKbgt5LpQtS_oPq2bs=.X856S9
I was recommended these too.👍

I'm accustomed to shimano brands & sizes & find daiwa brands are a little larger in size to a Shimano equivalent. And not many tackle shops hold stocks of reels anymore, so it makes my life a little tricky when I want to buy daiwa Reels. (It might be just me of course!)

Another vote for the XR. Either 4000 or 5000.

They are very light so the (only slightly) larger 5000 would be fine.

Ive tried Cadence and Daiwa modern reels and went back to my old Shimano match 3’s. Then I tried an XR…..

Hi Rob I use a shimano aero 4000 fa for trotting they are well engineered although no longer available new in this country there are still a few round on ebay. They have a wide spool and 6.1 retrieve. Aimed at the feeder anglers they make an excellent trotting reel so good I have 4 of them. Having had 250 plus barbel in the float in the past 3 summers I really rate them and the clutch is excellent too.

Hi Rob I use a shimano aero 4000 fa for trotting they are well engineered although no longer available new in this country there are still a few round on ebay. They have a wide spool and 6.1 retrieve. Aimed at the feeder anglers they make an excellent trotting reel so good I have 4 of them. Having had 250 plus barbel in the float in the past 3 summers I really rate them and the clutch is excellent too.
i use one too and they are very good but a little heavier than some like the Stradic I prefer.

I’d say a Shimano Aero model as they’re light. Browning Sphere CFT reels may be going for good money now too. Personally I’m a diehard centrepin fan and have never struggled for casting distance because I can Wallis cast. A bit of time and effort and a whole world of angling enjoyment is open to you (although it would be unfair not to mention the affliction of OCCP- Obsessive Compulsive Centrepin Purchasing!)

Hope you get what you need Rob.

Al

If I’m going to use a fixed spool reel for trotting which i don’t so much nowadays then I am a daiwa fan.
Nothing wrong with shimano’s at all I have plenty of them too but I just like the things daiwa do a little better. Generation 2 TDX are my personal favorite I currently have 4 which will soon be down to 3.

On a 15ft acolyte I’d be looking to select a reel under 300g ideally as it’s a very light well balanced rod in its own right.

Sadly daiwa don’t have anything to offer now in this weight class unless you go 25** size which is too small really so I’d suggest you look at shimano’s aero XR range and go for the 5000 size model to obtain the biggest spool diameter possible.

For the ridiculously low price tag, the amount of tech in one of those XR reels is quite remarkable

Hey all,

TIA!
Have you considered closed face? I'm a Daiwa fanboy (and grew up using a 120M) but still use a 125M with my 13' Acolyte Plus . . .prefer the rear drag if a bigger fish turns up and trot all day in comfort

Hi Rob,… can’t say I’ve tried out all the suggestions from above plus I do like trotting with a c.pin if the swim and conditions are suitable. Given I’m a pretty useless caster with a pin compared with those who have used nothing else since childhood I often fall back to smallish fixed spools .
Some years back I brought a little shimano exage 3000s which I didn’t really get on with tbh,… didn’t like the front drag or clutch.
Last year I brought a shimano stradic 3000s which has a rear drag, push button spool release and good smooth clutch.
It’s a bit heavier than the exage, ( at 345 grams) but I can comfortably trot all day with it coupled with a Hardy 14 footer.
Not sure about the white colour but am well pleased with the reel.
IMG_0493.jpeg

The only time I would use a fixedspool reel for trotting would be if I was waggler fishing. I very much liked an original abu 501 but it did suffer from line stick, especially after playing in a decent fish. I used the older shimano stradics and they were good. I have some shimano 2500 FJ stradics and they are ideal. I have a older shimano super x 2500 which is great. I also have some daiwa TDR reels in the smaller sizes...2508A and 3012 DA which i've never used for trotting but I know they would be fine.
There really are lots of fixed spool reels suitable for the purpose, so long as you can reach the spool with your finger to control the line most reels will be ok.....imo.

I have a Stradic 3000 for waggler fishing for barbel and it is the best reel I have. Has carbon drag washers, is super smooth and light. I also have a Daiwa Fuego and imo the Stradic is far superior.

Back