• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reels for running line

If it saves buying another reel give them a try Jon.
No probs buying a new one if necessary. Just that in my old stick float days, managed better with a closed face as opposed to bail arm types( Mitchell match etc) Is the 4000d much different to the 4000 aero x fa?

I just like the baitrunner facility, as it's better than using the anti reverse, when your moving depth etc. Any baitrunner will do, they are generally slightly heavier too, so will balance a longer rod.

) Is the 4000d much different to the 4000 aero x fa?
On paper no! Same reel, same guts, same baitrunner and same size n weight.
However for trotting I’d go with Jon’s approach between the two. Simply because the aero X FA has a bit of a reputation for taking line under the spool and getting you in a tangle. Not too big a deal for static as you can close the bail and carefully wind down but if you need to snap that bail quickly while trotting and hit a bite you could be in for some fun if your dealing with a barbel and a birds nest at the same time.

Was toying with using the baby 'stradics' but not sure how they will feel. I have recently bought a Okuma Pulzar 4000, bait runner, and it will make a good trotting reel I think, very very light and compact. How did you find the little 'uns performed Richard, with the float rod?

Was toying with using the baby 'stradics' but not sure how they will feel. I have recently bought a Okuma Pulzar 4000, bait runner, and it will make a good trotting reel I think, very very light and compact. How did you find the little 'uns performed Richard, with the float rod?
I can only say based on a waggler, on a still water and a very brief session or 2. It seemed fine but I haven’t really had enough seat time With it to judge properly.
I haven’t suffered the tangles yet but again there is time I’m sure.
The plan with that reel was always to be used with my new chubbing rod but it does also sit very nice on an acolyte.
So to be honest I dunno Neil. I haven’t had it long enough really to say anything useful

I will say one thing it was like brand new when I got it yet it didn’t feel right (really Geary feel) so I gave it a quick service and no word of a lie it was practically bone dry inside from the factory.
No evidence at all of any lubrication.
I wonder how many managed to skip that stage during manufacturing

no nonsense reels.
Very much so and so simple to look after.
It always amazes me just how little Goes into those reels (Some simply have just 1 or 2 bearings ) yet they compete so well with far more Over complex Reels on smoothness.
Shimmy also used the same common platform with them all regarding the way these reels are put together.
10 quid for a couple of bearings and you can change the lower end versions into top spec versions in about 10 minutes. I have a number of versions from that era too. They cost me a dollop of grease once a year.

I have one of those Daiwa ss2600 Tournaments, with the Carbon washers sat in the back of my garage, might put that on my second float rod. There a bit old school, but worked well for Tenching this spring.

I have one of those Daiwa ss2600 Tournaments, with the Carbon washers sat in the back of my garage, might put that on my second float rod. There a bit old school, but worked well for Tenching this spring.
Very sought after reels nowadays, even rough ones fetch mega bucks.
I’d love to get one just to pull it apart and see how they tick 😂

Been using one of these last 4 seasons on my Daiwa Spectron for float fishing
Superb little shimmy.Also the 2500 x aero for past 3 seasons for Chub Roach and Perch etc on the tip.
Haven't had no issues whatsoever with line getting trapped.
It may be down to what line is used.......
Screenshot_2020-06-27-21-04-58.jpg

Back