• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reels for 8ft stalking rod

Ben Cullen

Hi all hope you all had a good chrimbo
My mrs got me a 8ft korum 2lb tc rod for fishing in the tight lil swims under tree canopies on my local river was wondering what reel would be suitable
Ive a daiwa gs300 which i use on a tip rod for chubbing was wondering if this would be ok or a little undergunned with 12/15lb line for hit and hold fishing in these poke hole type swims

I’ve got a pair of them Korum 8ft rods I use shimano 5010 reels with them perfect little set up

Attachments

• IMG_0662.png
    IMG_0662.png
    606.1 KB · Views: 67
The reel you've got sounds fine to me. Angl1ng D1rect have got the Daiwa Ninja LT 3000-CBE for £30.00. It was £80.00 earlier in the year - lovely little reel, with Airbail (a feature of their expensive reels). I just bought one for my spinning/nuisance pike rod with 15lb braid on it... the price was a no-brainer.

Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 15.25.43.png

Thankyou lads just spooled my lil daiwa up balances quite nice just hope i can hook a decent fish to see if its upto task

For hit and hold stalking in tight swims, I use a shimmy 3500b. It might seem overkill, but I haven't found anything better for that type of fishing...I don't give the fish anything in those situations and try to get them in the net ASAP without any pi22ing around. The 3500b's well up the task of cranking in a big fish. I use the same set up for barbel, as I do carp, 9ft 2-piece rod with an approx TC of 2.5lb. It might sound heavy, but hit and hold situations don't require any degree sublety, certainly not when snags are involved.

Back