• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel to match Drennan Duo 1.5

Graham Martin

Senior Member & Supporter
I have just invested in a Duo 1.5 for winter Chub or Barbel which hopefully may come my way. Can i ask which Reel or size of reel would be most suitable?. Fishing Avon/Stour. Thanks in advance.

Used my X Aero 4000s for the same thing, with the same rods and on the same two rivers last season. Lovely combination, in my opinion.

Thanks lads. Had x Aero 4000s did not like them and gave them away. Looks like 4000 size reels fit the bill so will have a look around.

If you were just after chub and travelling light, you could probably go down to a decent 2500 size, but if you want a reel to do both jobs, I’d go with a 4000. Just be careful if you go down the online second hand route, as others have said on here, the number doesn’t always correspond with the expected size.

The 4000D is a beautiful reel I have 3 of them and 2 of the bigger 6000Ds.
However don’t dismiss the OC. You’ll save yourself a good few quid, gain an extra spool and obtain all the benefits of the D for freshwater use. The D has a few subtle upgrades but nobody fishing for chub and barbel is ever going to notice them.

The 4000D is a beautiful reel I have 3 of them and 2 of the bigger 6000Ds.
However don’t dismiss the OC. You’ll save yourself a good few quid, gain an extra spool and obtain all the benefits of the D for freshwater use. The D has a few subtle upgrades but nobody fishing for chub and barbel is ever going to notice them.
Have to agree about the OC’s and the 4000OC is my reel of choice but I think Phil’s offer is a bargain not to be missed.

Have you looked at the Shimano Sahara? I got a 4000DH earlier in the year. The 3000 size could be spot on for your requirements. I’ve only used mine for a bit of commercial float fishing when we were first allowed out, but one of the kiddos had a mid-double common with it that put that fighting drag through the motions! Quite an interesting system.

They’re a bit blingy looking, mind...

Have you looked at the Shimano Sahara? I got a 4000DH earlier in the year. The 3000 size could be spot on for your requirements. I’ve only used mine for a bit of commercial float fishing when we were first allowed out, but one of the kiddos had a mid-double common with it that put that fighting drag through the motions! Quite an interesting system.

They’re a bit blingy looking, mind...
I had similar thoughts Alex and ordered a Shimano Super 4000 gt. Hope to try it later in the week if it is not to hot for the fish.

If you are going to be feeder fishing for chub and want to clip up for accuracy like match anglers do then a MAP ACS (Automatic Clip System) reel might be useful. If you hook a barbel the line comes out of the clip allowing it to take line and saving you getting smashed up. Here is a link to how the system works

I bought the 3000 FD version to go with my 1.25lb Twin Tip Duo. It came with two metal spools and I have since bought another spool. Not sure if they are still made though.

I have just invested in a Duo 1.5 for winter Chub or Barbel which hopefully may come my way. Can i ask which Reel or size of reel would be most suitable?. Fishing Avon/Stour. Thanks in advance.
Resurrected this old thread. I bought the same rod and was pondering what reel? I have a couple of Shimmy 2500 fighting drag reels bought cheap unused for some 8 yrs Have to say they pair up well with this rod ..small light but punchy.😐

Back