• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

reel size for Ribble

Ian Brooke

Hi All

I am moving from Bristol to the North West and i am thinking of fishing the Ribble
What size reel would be best.. i have Shimano 8000 gte's at the moment which i use for everything but after a dedicated set of reels

Thanks
Ian

reels

post on the ribble thread and you will get all the run down ian,myself I use penn slammers,shimano 5000s, daiwa 2600s,and ultegra 5000s,and going to purchase a ,6000deu, but any reel that size will do ,what rivers did you fish before as the 8000 size seems a touch big for the ribble,but be warned ian them wiganers are wrong uns!

post on the ribble thread and you will get all the run down ian,myself I use penn slammers,shimano 5000s, daiwa 2600s,and ultegra 5000s,and going to purchase a ,6000deu, but any reel that size will do ,what rivers did you fish before as the 8000 size seems a touch big for the ribble,but be warned ian them wiganers are wrong uns!

Thanks mate.. will post on there..
They are a bit big but use them for pike, tench on horshoe and on the Bristol Avon for Barbel.. just being cheep and useing one set of reels with spare spools with different bs on them

Ian

Ian , get in touch with Steve foran he's a tackle tart, he may even sell you some reels he's had for 6 months, cause he gets bored of his gear after that:D, personally I use shims 6000 deu. Think Steve,s are the 6000 d,s the ones with the big knobs :eek:. You'll have to get yourself a new language book once you move up north ,on how to translate pie munching talk :confused: good luck on your move , and there a good bunch who will be more than happy to help you out.:p

I don't think it matters what size reel you use as long as you have enough line to play the fish. My shimano 5000re's loaded with drennan 6lb double strength have never let me down on the trent Severn teme or w .avon

Thanks mate.. will post on there..
They are a bit big but use them for pike, tench on horshoe and on the Bristol Avon for Barbel.. just being cheep and useing one set of reels with spare spools with different bs on them

Ian

Big move for a Bristol lad, I wuz born right next to the Bristol Avon in St Anne's, so just had to fish I suppose. Gawd know's how they will understand you or you them, but there is always the universal hand signs I guess, you know it was this big and the victory 'V'.
But back to the point about reel size, I guess any 5000 series should be fine, but check out these Penn Slammers, they are very tough reels and a super smooth clutch which to me is more important than the size of the reel, there is a review of the Slammer in the Review section on here.
Good luck.

I don't think it matters what size reel you use as long as you have enough line to play the fish. My shimano 5000re's loaded with drennan 6lb double strength have never let me down on the trent Severn teme or w .avon

6lb Drennan :eek: Wow that's a new one on me Patrick, always rated that line and use it as a hook length, and have good doubles on the 6lb in low clear conditions.

Any idea as to what the breaking point is on the 6lb?

6lb Drennan :eek: Wow that's a new one on me Patrick, always rated that line and use it as a hook length, and have good doubles on the 6lb in low clear conditions.

Any idea as to what the breaking point is on the 6lb?

Never been broken yet Neil and had fish over twice the breaking strain

ribble

Hi ian i fish the ribble and ive just got my self sum penn slammers and they are fantastic i had shimanos 5000 gts they wer good reels both reels are really good for the ribble pal good look.

thanks all for the advice

my west country accent might make it a struggle but as you say a good hand gesture normally gets the point across!!

Ian

Back