• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel service centres

Justin Cubberley

Does anyone know of a reasonable reel service centre? In the past I've sent reels down to the tackle box in Kent but to be honest I've never had one back repaired. With the costs of postage and initial inspection of the reel running to approximately £25 before any replacement parts cost... It obviously plays a large part in my dicission to scrap or repair the reel.
The reel in question is a drennan br Specimen model that is a sub £60 reel. It has only been used for around 20 hours in a little over 12 months (its paired with my 10' drennan boat pike rod) so I'm a liitle reluctant to scrap it just yet. The reel itself spins and works fine. Like many free spool models the problem occurs when you need to disengage the free spool. The manual lever works fine but will skip probably on 3 out of every 5 occasions when you turn the handle. It's a minor inconvenience, more frustrating as I know the age and use of the reel.
I did email drennan some months ago asking if they serviced their products but I'm guessing I've been blown off by them as I'm yet to receive a reply.

might be worth ringing business hours and asking
01792 796584

Does anyone know of a reasonable reel service centre? In the past I've sent reels down to the tackle box in Kent but to be honest I've never had one back repaired. With the costs of postage and initial inspection of the reel running to approximately £25 before any replacement parts cost... It obviously plays a large part in my dicission to scrap or repair the reel.
The reel in question is a drennan br Specimen model that is a sub £60 reel. It has only been used for around 20 hours in a little over 12 months (its paired with my 10' drennan boat pike rod) so I'm a liitle reluctant to scrap it just yet. The reel itself spins and works fine. Like many free spool models the problem occurs when you need to disengage the free spool. The manual lever works fine but will skip probably on 3 out of every 5 occasions when you turn the handle. It's a minor inconvenience, more frustrating as I know the age and use of the reel.
I did email drennan some months ago asking if they serviced their products but I'm guessing I've been blown off by them as I'm yet to receive a reply.

Hear
Screenshot_20220114_092858_com.whatsapp.jpg
good things about these guys

Future Fishing, Newark

Full strip down, clean and re-grease - £20 inc return post . . .knackered parts extra and as required

It doesn’t sound worth it to me. Sorry if that’s a negative approach but by the time you’ve forked out for a service center to remove the body screws you’ve paid for half the reel again. Chances that these places carry spares for a reel like that are next to zero and most good ones would probably save you the expense and tell you it’s not worth doing.

Would you like me to take a look at it? I certainly don’t have spares for them but I might be able to do something with it or at least diagnose the fault

Entirely up to you.

Back