• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel recommendation for hi S big water

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all, I decided to pair my Hi S Big water rods with Daiwa Emblem 25 br ,however they do not fit the Hi s
Reel seats ( reel foot to big in thickness ) so sent them back ,so looking for some that fit.
The 4000d and 4000 oc fit but look completely and feel unbalanced.Got some Daiwa 2600 reels but no BAITRUNNER .

I know the 6000d reels fit and balance up well on my free spirit big rivers which is the same reel seat (poxy carbon fibre thing)

Hi all, I decided to pair my Hi S Big water rods with Daiwa Emblem 25 br ,however they do not fit the Hi s
Reel seats ( reel foot to big in thickness ) so sent them back ,so looking for some that fit.
The 4000d and 4000 oc fit but look completely and feel unbalanced.Got some Daiwa 2600 reels but no BAITRUNNER .
If you haven't sold your oc's use them Adam, dont waste your money when they will do perfectly well👍

Are the rods a custom build or standard? Just tried one of my Emblem 25br's on my standard build big water and it fits fine.
I've used a 6000oc with it and that fits fine too.Most of the time I have a Daiwa theory 4000sp and use this set up with weights up to 4oz

i have daiwa ss2600 on mine (who needs a baitrunner) get some qd caps…. have also used okuma 6000 inc with them on the trent
Exactly.

I now use Okuma 6000 reels instead of baitrunners and just back off the drag to suit.

If Shimano did bigger ‘fighting drag’ reels I would buy those in an instant - miles better than Baitrunners.

The 6000 oc are sold . The rods in question are the HI S 13 ft Heavy water ( Clone reel seat )
Shimano XTRB fit but I wanted something with larger spool when using these rods. I even tried the DIAWA N ZON
25 distance ,good reel for the price ,but reel foot to big in thickness. I might use my SS2600 and get a QD CAP.

Adam,
If you’ve flogged your 6000’s and do not get on with the 2600’s with a QD take a look at either the Okuma 6000inc or if a Baitrunner is preferred the Okuma 6000 Aventa or 6000 Pulzar (if you can find one). Bloody goods reels and won’t break the bank. The Aventa is also available in 5000 size.
Regards
Bill

Exactly.

I now use Okuma 6000 reels instead of baitrunners and just back off the drag to suit.

If Shimano did bigger ‘fighting drag’ reels I would buy those in an instant - miles better than Baitrunners.
You don't hear many people mention Shimano's fighting drag reels, but I think they're genius. If I didn't like the pin so much or wasn't able to use it so much, I'd be using a fighting drag reel all of the time.
It's a wonder they aren't made to be honest the amount of time you see carpers messing on with front drag spools on the pod or whilst playing fish.

You don't hear many people mention Shimano's fighting drag reels, but I think they're genius. If I didn't like the pin so much or wasn't able to use it so much, I'd be using a fighting drag reel all of the time.
It's a wonder they aren't made to be honest the amount of time you see carpers messing on with front drag spools on the pod or whilst playing fish.
I’ve used fighting drags since the early 90’s and still think they are the best reels for Stillwater and river feeder fishing and my lighter chub/barbel fishing.

I have never owned ‘small’ Baitrunners as the fighting drag reels are so much more versatile. My super GT 4000 reels cope up to about 10lb line, above that I resort to the Okuma 6000 inc.

Back