• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel choice

Huanzhou Zhu

I am thinking to get a new reel to go with my 11ft 1.75lb rod, I already have a 4000d for another rod, and I want something different this time.

I want go a bit larger, say something similar to 5000 size, front drag, not necessary a Baitrunner reel. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Last edited:
For front drag, non baitrunner I'd seriously consider the Okuma Inc6000. Got them on my carp setup and they are a fantastic reel and even better when you consider the price. Obvioulsy a bit bigger than 5000 but they are pretty lightweight so don't feel big.

Used the CS10 -4000 for a few seasons and they have had some stick- faultless
If I needed a bigger reel I wouldn’t hesitate to get one of these

OKUMA INCEPTION ! Cracking reels at a great price 👍

Attachments

• IMG_1595.PNG
    IMG_1595.PNG
    227.4 KB · Views: 277
If you’ve got the time to keep a close eye on eBay for one I’d suggest a good example of the original ss1000. It’s a Japanese Version of the iconic 2600. It fits your requirements perfectly. If you don’t want to wait then the 2600 which you can still buy today is the next best thing.

If you’ve got the time to keep a close eye on eBay for one I’d suggest a good example of the original ss1000. It’s a Japanese Version of the iconic 2600. It fits your requirements perfectly. If you don’t want to wait then the 2600 which you can still buy today is the next best thing.
I thought the ss850 is the same as ss2600 and 750 is ss1600 size?

Used the CS10 -4000 for a few seasons and they have had some stick- faultless
If I needed a bigger reel I wouldn’t hesitate to get one of these
cadence, hmm, I am waiting for the deal come again.

I thought the ss850 is the same as ss2600 and 750 is ss1600 size?
The 850 is equivalent in size to the current 1600
The 1000 is equivalent to the 2600 which in “known” reel terms is around 5000 sized

The 750 is an absolute little pearler of a reel and was the equivalent in size to the ss1300 or in shimano reel terms around 2500-3000 sized.

The 750,850,1000 were definitely the ones to get if you can find them. Engineered fantasticly and built to last forever

The 850 is equivalent in size to the current 1600
The 1000 is equivalent to the 2600 which in “known” reel terms is around 5000 sized

The 750 is an absolute little pearler of a reel and was the equivalent in size to the ss1300 or in shimano reel terms around 2500-3000 sized.

The 750,850,1000 were definitely the ones to get if you can find them. Engineered fantasticly and built to last forever
Thanks Richard, I think my best bet is to ask my friend in Japan to find one for me. Much easier than find them in UK.

cadence, hmm, I am waiting for the deal come again.
They aren't cheap and a relative newcomer but the spec speaks for itself, In the hand their reels are a dream, very lightweight, tight as a drum, quick retrieve, beautiful clutch and excellent line lay. Spare spools are competitive.
Me and a friend have been trialing their pit reels this winter on long range piking - big baits and heavy leads and lots of casting and retrieving due to crayfish shredding the baits. Compared to our other reels - Penn Affinitys , Shimano Biomasters/ Big baitrunners/ Daiwa Emblems they just feel great. We have to get baits and rigs up and back quickly to avoid rocky drop offs and the reels perform effortlessly.
I have no association whatsoever with Cadence, just everything I've had so far has surpassed expectations.

My opinion having got sets of both Daiwa SS2600 and Okuma Inception 6000 is that the Okumas are better reels. Much smoother, faster retrieve, very positive bail arm lock and a quick drag that’s really good out of the box.

The fact I bought 4 of the Okumas for £180, and 2 of the SS2600 for £250 (plus another £50 for speed caps to convert to QD, so £300 in total) makes me feel a bit daft tbh. And it’s not all about saving money, I use them with Hi S rods so I’m happy to pay for quality. The SS2600 might go forever, but they’re wobbly and slow.

My Daiwa Emblem 45’s are much much nicer reels, but too big for anything Barbel really other than heavy flood fishing.

wobbly and slow.
They ain’t slow they are geared for torque.

A 6:1 ratio will put 20% more line on a spool per rotation over a 5:1 and in return for that extra speed it will take 20% more force on the handle to apply that line than a 5:1 ratio.
For barbel fishing 4.5-5.5 :1 is ideal. Which is where the SS sits. A perfect compromise between both.

They ain’t slow they are geared for torque.

A 6:1 ratio will put 20% more line on a spool per rotation over a 5:1 and in return for that extra speed it will take 20% more force on the handle to apply that line than a 5:1 ratio.
For barbel fishing 4.5-5.5 :1 is ideal. Which is where the SS sits. A perfect compromise between both.

Just going by my own experience of using them on the Tidal Trent. Cranking a heavy lead back over a rocky bottom feels like I have to wind like mad with the SS2600. It may not even be noticeable in other situations though.

I don’t want to dislike reels I spent £150 each on, but they’ll be for sale very soon as I don’t see what they offer over the Okumas other than name and tartiness, which does matter I’ll admit.

I’ve still got my original ss3000 carp reels I’ve had them years they don’t sound as smooth as say a shimano big pit but what they have done is last the test of time they seem like real work horses.

I’ve always been a shimano fan, but I started buying their reels in the 90s when arguably they didn’t make a bad reel
Other than the OCs most of the more recent mid range baitrunners have been poor IMHO
Similar experience with Daiwa -from sublime to ridiculous
Don’t have lots of experience with Okuma but the ones I have are ridiculously good for the money. Cadence reels are aimed at top range Daiwa and so far so good but longevity remains to be seen
Forums like this are priceless as without honest feedback from anglers I think you could kiss a lot of frogs buying a big brand reel off the shelf nowadays
But not so much with the 2nd tier brands who appear to put out consistent quality across their price points
But in a nutshell , you won’t get better advice than on here , whatever you choose 👍

Back