• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel Capacity

Mark de Lancey

Afternoon all,

I am in the market for a new reel and have been looking at the Shimano Stradic 2500 GTM RC. My only concern is that it holds 140 yards of 8lb line. I would fill it with 10lbs - so is this reel going to have a big enough capacity for say the Wye/Trent?

Merry Christmas to you all.

Mark

Afternoon all,

I am in the market for a new reel and have been looking at the Shimano Stradic 2500 GTM RC. My only concern is that it holds 140 yards of 8lb line. I would fill it with 10lbs - so is this reel going to have a big enough capacity for say the Wye/Trent?

Merry Christmas to you all.

Mark

Mark,
you haven't mentioned what style of fishing. I'd be happy to use a 2500 size reel for float fishing on pretty much any river but I'd not dream of using one for legering on any river, regardless of the line capacity.

Totally agree with Chris, the strdics do come in bigger sizes but can i recomend you have a look at the Diawa whisker 3012, its been an awsome tool for me on the Severn and Avon, other than that use a small shimano bait runner.
Merry Christmas.

Mark,
As far as capacity goes, you really hardly ever need more than 50 or so yards of line ! Unless you are doing MEGA chucks on big rivers !
The 2500 Stradic, however, IMHO, is a little undergunned for Barbel fishing. I had one of the older 2500 Stradics and even found it a little small for float fishing ! I do have bigish hands, but certainly for Barbelling I'd suggest a 5000 size reel, especially on The Wye............
Not sure of the latest model, but my 5000GTE's have served me well over the years...........

I use Exage 4000's which I believe are very similar to the Stradic, I'm not sure what numbers they come in but I'm sure the 2500 is undergunned for Barbel Mark, I think you should be looking at a 4000+ at least!!

Hello Mark, i have both the stradic 2500 and 4000 sizes, i wouldn,t use the 2500 for barbeling, but the 4000 size is perfect. not sure on capacity,s, but i can check for you if you want me to. i just fill it with 10lb sensor, i know its cheap but its never let me down. :)

Hi Guys, i generally feeder/ledger, alternating from 1-5 oz's depending on conditions. I have the exage but love the white stradic 4000.

Hi Guys, i generally feeder/ledger, alternating from 1-5 oz's depending on conditions. I have the exage but love the white stradic 4000.

4000 sized reels would be the bare minimum I'd use and only on the small to medium sized rivers or relatively close in on the bigger rivers. For the big heave ho on the Trent I'd opt for significantly bigger reels even if they do have a line capacity way above what is actually required. Ease of casting is what it's about for me. The bigger and wider spools make casting a lot easier.

As Chris says Mark, I use my 4000 on your local and rivers of similar size but think its undergunned for bigger rivers.

P.s you caught the fish from you know where yet?;)

i,ve used my stradic 4000 on the Severn without any worries. caught fish upto my PB of 9lb12oz without feeling undergunned.

Back