• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel advice sought please

Rob Francis

Hi all,
I am starting afresh after a long break and need to kit myself out from scratch.
I’m looking for a suit to match a Drennan Martin Bowler 1.75lb rod.
Looking at possibly a Shimano 4000D or a Daiwa GS3000 Ltd but would appreciate any advice or other options
Thanks in advance,
Rob

I recently brought a couple of the Shimano twin power 3000S XT-RB reels off of ebay for my 1.75 Barbel Rods.

I don't however use Baitrunner Reels, so maybe my style of reel won't be the sort of thing your after?

Not that I'm selling yet, but I brought some of the last Shimano thannus 4000 reels, haven't felt the need to use them yet, so I may sell later this season.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230701_164924.jpg
    Screenshot_20230701_164924.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Hi all,
I am starting afresh after a long break and need to kit myself out from scratch.
I’m looking for a suit to match a Drennan Martin Bowler 1.75lb rod.
Looking at possibly a Shimano 4000D or a Daiwa GS3000 Ltd but would appreciate any advice or other options
Thanks in advance,
Rob
If your going daiwa GS id suggest the GS5000 BR.
It’s a very small 5000 reel and equal is size and weight roughly to the 4000D

Thanks for the reply’s all
I
I've got the Martin Bowler rod and use a 4000 OC reel. I think it's a great combination.
Mike, I assume they’re very similar reels. I’m only thinking of the 4000d as I’ve seen a couple still available online new.
Cheers,
Rob

I

Mike, I assume they’re very similar reels. I’m only thinking of the 4000d as I’ve seen a couple still available online new.
Cheers,
Rob
They are basically the same reel , I have a pair of both , you’d save yourself £20-30 with the OC and less blingy .
I bought all 4 reels from folks on this site , put a wanted ad up in the classifieds that’s how got mine .
only thing I don’t like is the crappy line clip , I fight with the damn thing every night when tackling down .

Rob, got my OC's from guys on here. I prefer the OC over the D as the spools are less blingy and new spare spools were only about £15 when I got one a couple of years ago from Johnson Ross.

Thanks both, looking into them now, There’s also the Daiwa SS2600 which has always been on my radar but I’ve never owned one, have always gone for something different in the end.

If you haven’t already decided, there’s a bloke selling a Daiwa SS II 3500C on Marketplace, they are bloody great. Prefer it to the Suveran and the clutch is as good as my recently serviced 3500Bs. I wouldn’t go near a 2600

Hi All- have same question as I managed to acquire a Martin Bowler 1.75lb (for a steal- £30 may I add!) and looking for a reel to match. Already have a Shimano 4000OC which I think is a tad too small for this rod, and a Daiwa Emcast 4000BR which I'm not a fan of (poor construction). Any other suggestions? Something slightly bigger than a 4000OC would be my preference...

Hi All- have same question as I managed to acquire a Martin Bowler 1.75lb (for a steal- £30 may I add!) and looking for a reel to match. Already have a Shimano 4000OC which I think is a tad too small for this rod, and a Daiwa Emcast 4000BR which I'm not a fan of (poor construction). Any other suggestions? Something slightly bigger than a 4000OC would be my preference...
I started a thread recently on virtually the same topic (on behalf of a mate). ‘4000 ish non-baitrunner reel choice’. There are some interesting suggestions in there……

Id say the 4000 OC is bang on for that rod

Back