• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reduction in goosanders

I've just read the link and think the WWT are deluded. There are hundreds attending every Hereford match I fish. I now see them increasingly on the Warks Avon as well. If there is a reduction in their numbers and I am seeing an increase they are surely going to fewer places, which points to what we all know - there are fewer fish. :mad: As for the rise in temperature has he been out the last few winters?

I would like to believe the report, however, over the last ten years the numbers of goosanders on our waterways have increased astronomically. There's barely a water that hasn't felt their impact! The river Severn's silver fish population in the Shrewsbury area (where I live) has been devastated. The damage done by these birds is astronomical - and I'm not even mentioning furry mammals and cormorants!!

The one swimming round with 4 chicks was really struggling to survive yesterday on the wharfe, maybe it's her 45 friends that are helping bring them up!

hi roger, welcome to the sight. its a fact yes that our area has obliterated by them. our old hunting ground aroud dale end is pretty much devoid of roach & dace now i think, but at least the big chub & barbel are still there in numbers.

Just lifted this from bird forum with reference to the River Dove:

Spent the afternoon at Doveridge yesterday. Wasn't really birding but as we approached the river we disturbed a female Goosander with at least 20 young. Never seen so many young with what looked like just one female

It seems strange that a river the environment agency declared to be failing seems more than capable of supporting a large amount of goosander.
As for otters, I haven't seen one for around six weeks now. Probably found a carp puddle to raid.

There were plenty around six weeks ago Anthony, I was seeing them almost every time I walked the banks. I think maybe the females are off having cubs somewere but no sign of the males. I hope this lasts of course but something tells me we'll soon be hearing the high pitched squeak of little paws!

Back