• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Red Robin

It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be Richard, it would stain your hands for a couple of days at least even with vigorous scrubbing, anything porous would virtually be permanantly stained.
Nowadays it pretty much washes off of most thing immediatly, including your hands, i wipe the worktop down as soon as i've finished rolling, and it doesn't leave a trace now, though i wouldn't want to get it on a light shirt or pullover or something, it might take a few washes to get it out.

Ian.

Certainly the 'old' stuff contained 'something' that stained seemingly everything red. This characteristic virtually went over the years and along the lines of what Ian has said. I have some old Tupperware stained by the old stuff.
I've heard a number of stories relating to Carophyll Red and whether it was present (or not)in Robin Red and opinions vary. The trade mark for Carophyll Red is owned by Roche.

Nutrabaits Robin Red is claimed to contain Carophyll Red.

In either (or not) form it is still a very popular additive and effective in baits. Lots of commercial baits contain RR.
If you are looking something slightly different try Spanish RRR.

Bob

If you look at their Bird Colour Food, Carophyll Red is twice the price of RR
http://www.haiths.com/Product-Departments/Colour-Food-department/

And the link to the Hailth's article Adrian and I posted states:
Take, for instance, the widely held belief that Robin Red® included a synthetic colouring agent called Carophyll Red™. Though this widely held and much propagated ‘fact’ has existed for many, many years, the fact is that apparently Robin Red® does not now nor ever has contained Carophyll Red™!

So how did this myth come about? Well, I cannot be certain but I have a pretty good idea…Firstly can I ask anyone with a copy of Rod's book, 'The Carp Strikes Back’ to refer to page 129 and then read it from top to bottom. I think thereafter a lot of you will then realise how this whole misconception came about.

Edit: I know some fishing outlets sell a variation on Robin Red that does contain extra or different ingredients including Carophyll Red. Bur RR is Haith's trademark; and the prices vary a lot too. Whatever...baits containing RR catch and have been doing so for the past 40 years.
Tackle Box variation stains red more than Haiths

Last edited:
Back