• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Red Lion Bredwardine.. Day ticket stretch

Taking my lad there tomorrow for his first Wye trip... Any good.? Any noted areas?

Thanks
Hi Lee
Fished the Red Lion beat for many years but my last trip there was 2006!! The "go to" bait was double (yes double) Campbells meatballs on a long hair rig!! What I do remember was a section me and my mates referred to as "the beach". Depending on river conditions there is a pebble "beach" exposed and the river has fast water running on the far side. We used to pick up quite a few barbel at the tail end of the fast water on the inside edge of the scum line. I am talking 16 years ago though!!
Hope you and your lad have a good session.
Tight lines

I always like Vilets run towards the upper end of the fishery...although it may well have changed since then.

The cocks combe was always a reliable swim towards the middle section.

I always like Vilets run towards the upper end of the fishery...although it may well have changed since then.

The cocks combe was always a reliable swim towards the middle section.
How would I know which run or area that is please, I've never been before are there any distinguishing features obviously other places like the Creel have a self explanatory Church pool etc. The Wye is a river i don't know well and have never been here before

How would I know which run or area that is please, I've never been before are there any distinguishing features obviously other places like the Creel have a self explanatory Church pool etc. The Wye is a river i don't know well and have never been here before
Hi Fished there a few times, are you staying at the Red Lion? They have a map with most swim's marked on it or ask for details of swim's. I preferd the area downstream of the washing machine swim's, deeper steady water, fishing one or two rods out. Regards Wayne
Regards

I'm sure there used to be a more detailed map of the Red Lion on line somewhere, probably still is if you look for it.

Hi Fished there a few times, are you staying at the Red Lion? They have a map with most swim's marked on it or ask for details of swim's. I preferd the area downstream of the washing machine swim's, deeper steady water, fishing one or two rods out. Regards Wayne
Regards
HI Wayne we're not staying we're fishing on a day ticket which I believe limits where we can fish

I fished the wye today and it fished really poorly across the whole stretch (not the red lion) most anglers blanked. In guess the river pretty much doubled in height over night. Hope its improves for you tomorrow and your son catches his first barbel. I helped my brother catch his first today so not a total failure on my part.

Got there paid the man 15 quid. Walked the full length nowhere safe for me and the lad, got a refund, went to Ross Town waters and blanked.

Surprisingly enough Beat 6 has some of the best variety of areas for all levels of the river and some of the best fishing , the only problem is the long walk and slippery banks in places which to the unprepared can be off putting A goat spike and knotted rope are Wye essentials even in the summer , I have had some cracking fish over the years including this autumn off beat 6.

Back