• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

red isotopes,

I prefer the disposable chemical ones, I've lost far to many Isotopes in the river over the years.
Aldi do them in boxes of 100 for three quid every summer. There are red, green and blue ones in the box, the blue are my favourites, they don't seem to dazzle as much as the others.
I've got three boxes unopened in a draw in the garage.

I need to get out more often.

Last edited:
There are some here on ebay....red isotopes for fishing | eBay, but I am not certain those intended for 'Stow' indicators would be bright enough for rod tip work. (Stow indicators are bobbins primarily used by carp fishermen) they may be fine...but a pain in the arris to send them back if not :D

Cheers, Dave.

The last isotopes I had came from around the door of an RAF Wessex helicopter which had been scrapped. They were about thirty years old but still bright enough to be seen on the end of a 12' rod.

I agree with the disposables, far brighter and less of a strain on the eyes, I have found they will fit into the Enterprise rod tip adaptors, many sources for them, think the last lot I got from the bay.
Also make great night floats, using them at the mo for perching into dark, just buy the cheap night fishing wagglers on the bay and fit them in the end, work a treat !

ATB,

Nick

I can only ever see the green ones properly, the rest just fade into the night................ the blue ones are a waste of time in my opinion as i just cannot see them:eek::eek:

I have just purchased these 20 X FISHING ROD CLIP ON TIP LIGHT FITS ALL FRESH WATER FISHING RODS STARLIGHTS | eBay
The chemical lights just slide inside them and they clip to the top of the rod real easy much simpler and glow really bright. And on the plus side I have 20 holders and now just need to buy the glow lights.

Good find Clive, I have a couple of boxes of Aldi chemical lights, I would think they would fit, they seem to reappear on the Aldi shelves around this time too.

The last isotopes I had came from around the door of an RAF Wessex helicopter which had been scrapped. They were about thirty years old but still bright enough to be seen on the end of a 12' rod.

Me too, also the old AA roadside boxes were a useful source of very bright isotopes...ah the good ol days of scavenging tackle.

I have just purchased these 20 X FISHING ROD CLIP ON TIP LIGHT FITS ALL FRESH WATER FISHING RODS STARLIGHTS | eBay
The chemical lights just slide inside them and they clip to the top of the rod real easy much simpler and glow really bright. And on the plus side I have 20 holders and now just need to buy the glow lights.

They sort of seem to be saying that the rubber holders fit other makes of starlites as well Clive, which I think is what you are intending to do...but do they look like they will survive multi use? And will they really fit 'any size of rod? That would take a bit of doing :D

Cheers, Dave

Have you got those glowing balls Clive?:eek:

Only on the weekend!

Back