• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Red float tips

Alec Hague

Senior Member & Supporter
Amongst my crazed searches I am still looking for sleeves which will fit over a float tip. Reason being is that whenever I fish in shadow of trees etc, the red tip can be obscured. I have looked at sight bobs but my floats seem to be 4.5 and 5.5 tips. Ideally a yellow sleeve to fit would be the simple answer. Earth sleeve seems to be 4 mm so stretches over 4.5. the sleeve is stripped yellow/ green and will try it on Wednesday. But 5.5 seems an issue. Yellow insulation tape was an option but it doesn't seem to like water. Any suggestions guys?

Amongst my crazed searches I am still looking for sleeves which will fit over a float tip. Reason being is that whenever I fish in shadow of trees etc, the red tip can be obscured. I have looked at sight bobs but my floats seem to be 4.5 and 5.5 tips. Ideally a yellow sleeve to fit would be the simple answer. Earth sleeve seems to be 4 mm so stretches over 4.5. the sleeve is stripped yellow/ green and will try it on Wednesday. But 5.5 seems an issue. Yellow insulation tape was an option but it doesn't seem to like water. Any suggestions guys?
Drinking straws Alec, it can be a bit hit and miss with sizes but you can usually find a size that fits.

I have also used catapult elastic.

Drinking straws Alec, it can be a bit hit and miss with sizes but you can usually find a size that fits.

I have also used catapult elastic.
The elastic, yes, mmm will try that , straws too. About me I say "it's grand when your daft! "Who said that? Answers please on a 50 £ note addressed to me. More suggestions eagerly awaited. Will report back. I did read of someone using catty elastic as a float joiner!

The elastic, yes, mmm will try that , straws too. About me I say "it's grand when your daft! "Who said that? Answers please on a 50 £ note addressed to me. More suggestions eagerly awaited. Will report back. I did read of someone using catty elastic as a float joiner!
Yes, various colours and 6 mm. Thank you so much Steve. Will buy some tomorrow!

A length of white shrink tube which you cut shrink and paint (important it’s in that order🤣) in various colours and you’ll be able to keep em in your box and swap em about as you please.
Probably best not to shrink them on the floats and maybe shrink them on something the same diameter as the floats.

Even low temp stuff needs enough heat to shrink and it’s enough to start softening the paint or varnish etc on your float.

A length of white shrink tube which you cut shrink and paint (important it’s in that order🤣) in various colours and you’ll be able to keep em in your box and swap em about as you please.
Probably best not to shrink them on the floats and maybe shrink them on something the same diameter as the floats.

Even low temp stuff needs enough heat to shrink and it’s enough to start softening the paint or varnish etc on your float.
Ordered some variety of tube so will play on arrival. Thanks for all your suggestions hand help.

Ordered some variety of tube so will play on arrival. Thanks for all your suggestions hand help.
The shrink arrived yesterday. The tips I have are removable on the 4.5 Polaris( also used by mark ollard, so can try the shrink onto plastic so should be safe enough. The 5.5 are painted 2 pack I believe so will follow your suggestion on those Richard. Ps anyone want 260 various sizes shrink wrap! Ha!

magic guys. Many thanks. and they slide off!

Attachments

• floats.jpg
    floats.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 75
Back