• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Record Barbel

Hi men ,

Google is your friend , fish over 19lb image's from that area .

Good luck if people need to fish for it , we all fish for different reasons . I fished with the legend Pete Frost one evening , well many evenings , and over a cuppa ( as I was the cha boy for him) he kept on telling me to get Sue up Adams Mill before it gets to busy as she would catch monsters the way we fish . Although it was possibly the closest stretch to us she preferred to go to a deserted bit of the Windrush and sit , watch , and feed the barbel , sometimes fishing for them . It's a broard church , she would not have swapped 😉.

Hatter

I'm with Sue on this one Mark. Back in the early 90's when double figure Barbel were on the front page of the angling press I caught an 11 plus from the 'lower' ( Severn) . I did not return to the river again that season. I could not tear myself away from the river Teme. Smaller fish but a Barbel heaven at the time. I fell in love with the Magic of that tiny river in its pristine environment. Happy days indeed.
Regards,
G.T.

Wasn't Chris Mack's Wensum fish 21lb 2oz?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191203-141218_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191203-141218_Chrome.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 315
I would have loved to have seen the Teme, Severn and othe rivers in their hay day, and I hope I don’t cause any offence by saying this, but when I’m as old as some of the members of this forum are (please don’t hate me for being age-ist) I hope I too can look back at my angling in yesteryear and safely say I did my bit for barbel fishing.

They’re my favourite fish, and whether you’re in to chasing monsters or chasing them by plenty, I think we can all agree that this capture is phenominal

Given that most fisheries other than Sussex rivers will be devoid of anglers, I might head to the home of the monster Three-Spined Stickleback. I didn’t actually know such a fish existed but I won’t be leaving the venue until I’ve bagged the beast.

And my photo will be considerably better than that of the new barbel record. For a start the fish will be neatly positioned in the palm of my hands and in such a way that it’s clear that both hands are required to hold the monster, as I used to say to my girlfriends literally never. There will also be a shot of it resting in my shoe so envious anglers get a clearer perspective of its size.

And I’m not even going to pretend that this is a fishing journey I’ve been on since before I was even born. It will be obvious from the photo with the bandwagon in the foreground and my clown inspired trousers with their massive pockets containing people and small villages, what’s just happened.

Anyway, it’s sort of great that this colossal barbel hasn’t come from the Trent or even the Thames. Fishing needs mystery and surprise (although this might not be so much of a surprise to some) to keep us hoping and believing. Suspect there could well be even bigger fish lurking in some of our rivers and they couldn’t give a sh*t about Brexit or the election which should make us love them even more.

Really well done to the captors of this huge barbel and the even more impressive Stickleback.

The big girl that came out the ivel countless times went to 21 something in her hay day
Never caught her myself but saw her on the bank a couple of times approaching 20. Unfortunately the last time she was caught she was partly eaten ☹️

The big girl that came out the ivel countless times went to 21 something in her hay day
Never caught her myself but saw her on the bank a couple of times approaching 20. Unfortunately the last time she was caught she was partly eaten ☹
Taken by an otter unfortunately

Awesome fish well done to the captor
... and yes Howard you are right there is bigger in the Thames ... just ask the carp anglers who fish it... they just don’t want the circus coming to town
Phft.......... I had a 50ish lb carp out the nene the other day accidentally caught barbel fishing. Didn’t even bother to take it out the net to unhook it 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Taken by an otter unfortunately
Unfortunately yes. There was a good few very big ones came out in a short space of time. Was once a river where dreams could come true and special fish were quite common. Still one or two kicking about and it’s taken a restock of bigger than usual stock fish not that long ago but obviously gonna be a long time before it gets to what it was.
My pb was an ivel fish of 15,3

Given that most fisheries other than Sussex rivers will be devoid of anglers, I might head to the home of the monster Three-Spined Stickleback. I didn’t actually know such a fish existed but I won’t be leaving the venue until I’ve bagged the beast.

And my photo will be considerably better than that of the new barbel record. For a start the fish will be neatly positioned in the palm of my hands and in such a way that it’s clear that both hands are required to hold the monster, as I used to say to my girlfriends literally never. There will also be a shot of it resting in my shoe so envious anglers get a clearer perspective of its size.

And I’m not even going to pretend that this is a fishing journey I’ve been on since before I was even born. It will be obvious from the photo with the bandwagon in the foreground and my clown inspired trousers with their massive pockets containing people and small villages, what’s just happened.

Anyway, it’s sort of great that this colossal barbel hasn’t come from the Trent or even the Thames. Fishing needs mystery and surprise (although this might not be so much of a surprise to some) to keep us hoping and believing. Suspect there could well be even bigger fish lurking in some of our rivers and they couldn’t give a sh*t about Brexit or the election which should make us love them even more.

Really well done to the captors of this huge barbel and the even more impressive Stickleback.
Welcome back H. 😃

Hi men,

It's not a criticism of the bloke , because I think for history and records it's good to know , but with claiming comes much more .

Better than the crap that's going on in carp fishing at the mo , where you can book a lake at great expense ( the Fen) , and catch 70lb + fish that will not be accepted as a record 🙄, it's a mess .

Hatter

Are we really there yet? Does the title of ‘record holder’ really hold that much prestige? I don’t think so.

Fair play to the captor and I don’t blame him for claiming the record. Am I going to start driving to the Arun in the hope of catching the same fish at 1oz more? Nope. Will others? Maybe.

Ultimately, I think everyone needs to keep this in perspective... if I beat my personal best on my chosen rivers in the next 12 months, i’ll be over the bloody moon!!!!! Come on.

Let’s not forget what it’s all about.

(Sorry for the rant 😊)

Stuart, you make a very good point and echo my own thoughts.

Perhaps this isna sign of the times, I’m not knocking the bloke, but why “record holder” would (most definitely will) hold more weight than an angler who helps to run clubs, clear pegs, teaches kids how to fish etc; it leaves me a little puzzled.

Like I said above, with the rivers being well past their hay day, it would be very hard for my generation of anglers to have fishing as prolific as yesteryear, my biggest triumph will be making sure that inner city kids find as much happiness from fishing as what I did growing up... If the aim of the game was to hold the record and have pictures of it all over the internet, then we’d all be Carp fisherman travelling to France every few months.

I've often wondered what it must feel like to have caught a record fish. I'm pretty sure the captor must have felt completely elated at the time of the capture to have caught such a wonderful fish, and even just witnessing such a capture must feel like a real privilege, and he's probably seriously chuffed that its now been ratified as a official record. But I've often wondered what how catching a record fish could change an anglers mindset.

Obviously most anglers don't go fishing for records, but every time that rod tip hoops over, or my bite alarm sounds (if I'm fishing for other species) there always a that spark of excitement/anticipation that this could be 'the one', and by that I mean PB. I wonder if knowing that it's near impossible that it would be bettered would change things a bit?

Anyway, nice problem to have, first world problems and all that..please excuse the stream of consciousness...I'd better get back to my hastily arranged tour of Suffolk's religious architecture...now is that Phil's van parked over there?

Unfortunately yes. There was a good few very big ones came out in a short space of time. Was once a river where dreams could come true and special fish were quite common. Still one or two kicking about and it’s taken a restock of bigger than usual stock fish not that long ago but obviously gonna be a long time before it gets to what it was.
My pb was an ivel fish of 15,3
I lost a year of life chasing a dream on the Ivel and it sucked the love of barbel fishing out of me. On one session the fishermen either side of me had both held the barbel record at one stage, and just a couple of swims down was the Perch record holder. To top it all this all took place a stones throw from Dick Walkers back garden (where I believe his widow still lives)

Back