• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recommendations for dead bait rods

Paul Clotworthy

Looking for some help choosing a couple of dead bait rods for larger water I have 10ft ones at the min what I use on rivers and canals but looking for some 12ft ones now for bigger waters thinking of the diawa powermesh I have the barbel ones which am happy with has anyone got theses or any other better options anyone using the the fox elite ones either

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, i use Daiwa Powermesh Pike Deadbait Rods 12' 3.5 LB ones, cast decent distance, i'm happy with them.
Just like i'm really happy with the 2 Powermesh 2.75 LB Barbel Rods i have.
Top Performance at a very good price IMO.

Bob

Gunner get some off dave soon just not at the min he made some custom carp rods few years ago and they were excellent he’s local to me also just not at the me looking around £150 each rod for now

Hi, iv'e used Torrix 3.25 LB rods for deadbaiting, they cast out a small to medium deadbait a long way.
They do the Job well, but don't feel ideal for deadbaiting.
Feel better when casting leads or PVA bags.

Bob

ps if for fishing stillwaters or bigger rivers, i'd prob get the X1's.
Yet again never even picked one of them up.

I’ve got a pair of the Daiwa Powermesh deadbait rods at 3 1/2 lb test. Great rods, but be aware they do have extra long cork handles. They could do to be 6-9” shorter to be honest.

Thanks thinking of giving them try am gunner use my powermesh barbel rods on my next putting before I purchase them see how I get on with theses first

If you're using on the big waters Bait Blaster 1's (Dave Lumb again) are worth considering . They're 12 foot 3.5 lb tc Harrison banks. They're proven hook setters and fish players at extreme range using big baits. They're the rods that I own that I wouldn't sell.

Two or three years ago I bought a job lot of pike gear through another forum. 2x Fox Predator XS rods, 2x Shimano Super Aero Baitunner 10000 XTE, holdall, terminal tackle, alarms, quiver, net and handle for £200!!!

Looking for some help choosing a couple of dead bait rods for larger water I have 10ft ones at the min what I use on rivers and canals but looking for some 12ft ones now for bigger waters thinking of the diawa powermesh I have the barbel ones which am happy with has anyone got theses or any other better options anyone using the the fox elite ones either

Thanks
I have a pair of Drennan piker bait rods and the blanks are fabulous. 12’ 3.25tc Proper old school drennan carbon wrapped. I envisage that they are going to stop making them soon as all companies are doing they are cost saving. They decommed the piker lure rods a few years ago and they use the same blank. Im lucky enough to have got my hands on the 7ft and 10ft models.

There is a set of 3 Harrison Chimera 3lb test rods currently on eBay. Currently very cheap.

They make very serviceable pike rods (I have a pair).

No connection to me.

Back