• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recommendations for a flood water rod.

A lot of people rate them. They fetch craaaaaaazy money second hand on eBay. I’ve seen the MB barbel rods over take Harrison’s on bidding wars.
I have the MB 1.75 and it is a lovely piece of kit. To me it's very like a Chimera 1.75 and I fish the two together as a pair. If anything I prefer the MB slightly. Assume the 2.25 is equally as good

Not got the 2.25 MB but wouldn't swap my Chimera 3s for anything - practically perfect.

Paul the latest one is bigger than that
13ft 8#4 casts upto 6 ounces! Got a spliced tip I believe it could be used as a power float rod to

Paul the latest one is bigger than that
13ft 8#4 casts upto 6 ounces! Got a spliced tip I believe it could be used as a power float rod to
Wow - sorry Jon didn't realise that - really nice gear that Cadence stuff - I love the normal #3 feeder rod and the extra length is really useful for steering wily old chub out of reeds/ snags downstream on the inside line
I'll have a look at the video.

A nice rod for barbel is the Daiwa Longbow 2.25lb floater special. While I honestly don't know what weight it would throw, but 4oz would be my estimate. The action is just sublime.

The drennan mb rods are bang on, I use a pair of the 2.25 👍 like has been said getting hold of them can be tricky but glad you've managed to find one.

Ok, picked up new rod Thursday night, forecast looks ok for early next week, so sorted out bait etc this morning. Went round to my daughter's this afternoon and got bitten by a dog. A visit to A & E and must not get my dressing wet for a week.
What a b_gg_r !!!!

Ok, picked up new rod Thursday night, forecast looks ok for early next week, so sorted out bait etc this morning. Went round to my daughter's this afternoon and got bitten by a dog. A visit to A & E and must not get my dressing wet for a week.
What a b_gg_r !!!!
Hi Mike sorry to hear about the hand.
I dont usually post pictures of fish on here but I thought I should cheer you up .
On Friday to defy all probability,with the river Derwent over the top into the fields,a strong North easterly, and carrying about 5 feet of cold snow water ,I managed to drive about and find a swim I could fish and after three hours on the usual magic modern baits I chucked a bit of old faithful in and caught this 12.

Well the tin is about 4 oz so I guess this little belter is around 12 oz.
Note no unhooking matt as it never left the water it was to bloody cold
20191115_141536.jpg

What a b_gg_r !!!!

easily sorted go buy a pair of marigold rubber gloves bit of tape round the wrist bit stop any water running in them 🤔 👍 I did this on the 1st day of a 14 day French trip braided line cuts thru flesh like a hot knife in butter lol I just bought some durex and bung over it kept it dry for rest of the trip
FINGER.JPG
AND YES THAT IODINE !! them French Docs dont care if it stings lol i think my bum bit a lump out of his chair when he sloshed the iodine on

Last edited:
Looks painful Gerry, but pleased you managed to continue fishing. You don't have to go to France though, my local NHS drop in centre has a good supply of iodine, ouch!
The problem was the strapping was so thick around my hand I could not get marigolds to fit. In the end found a filling station with really big plastic gloves on the forecourt. Problem solved.
Cheers,
Mike

Dear All,
Just to let you all know I was informed by Harrison today that they have discontinued the 11ft 6ins 2.25lb Chimera Snag/flood Barbel Rod for 2022
You will have to go to the 12ft 2.25lb Chimera no 3 rod now !!! - same rod but at 12ft.

Dear All,
Just to let you all know I was informed by Harrison today that they have discontinued the 11ft 6ins 2.25lb Chimera Snag/flood Barbel Rod for 2022
You will have to go to the 12ft 2.25lb Chimera no 3 rod now !!! - same rod but at 12ft.
I tried one out briefly late last year for the first time through curiosity and I don’t think it’s a great loss personally. I found that rod to be everything that a chimera 3 isn’t. It’s just an extraction tool as far as I’m concerned. Yes it will do what it says on the tin and stop anything hitting snags but it’s a crap flood rod lacking real sensitivity in the top section. I like my rods to bend in flood conditions and cushion all that extra water and crap putting pressure on the line because then I know the lead is taking less strain. I’ve even used strong quiver tips in the past on upstream rods in floods so that the pressure is pulling the rod tip right over like a loaded spring. This helps keep the lead in place but also gives the absolute best drop back bite indication you could want and the snag/flood doesn’t offer anything like that.
It will launch lead and put the brakes on but then so does a broom handle. Not for me.

I tried one out briefly late last year for the first time through curiosity and I don’t think it’s a great loss personally. I found that rod to be everything that a chimera 3 isn’t. It’s just an extraction tool as far as I’m concerned. Yes it will do what it says on the tin and stop anything hitting snags but it’s a crap flood rod lacking real sensitivity in the top section. I like my rods to bend in flood conditions and cushion all that extra water and crap putting pressure on the line because then I know the lead is taking less strain. I’ve even used strong quiver tips in the past on upstream rods in floods so that the pressure is pulling the rod tip right over like a loaded spring. This helps keep the lead in place but also gives the absolute best drop back bite indication you could want and the snag/flood doesn’t offer anything like that.
It will launch lead and put the brakes on but then so does a broom handle. Not for me.
Dear Richard,
Each to their own - Personally I still find the tip still sensitive enough for such a powerful rod to hit small bite indication at the tip such as Dace, and small Chublets and even a Rudd which I did on the Wye last year - my Wye first the Rudd, after fishing it since I was 16 years old and I'm now 60!
Decent enough first season last year with the Chimera - 61 Barbel and 63 Chub caught on it !

Dear Richard,
Each to their own - Personally I still find the tip still sensitive enough for such a powerful rod to hit small bite indication at the tip such as Dace, and small Chublets and even a Rudd which I did on the Wye last year - my Wye first the Rudd, after fishing it since I was 16 years old and I'm now 60!
Decent enough first season last year with the Chimera - 61 Barbel and 63 Chub caught on it !
I’ve no doubt it will land hundreds of fish Craig it’s just got no place in my armory which is fine for me.
If you’ve got a couple and you like them then that’s all that matters. 👍🏻

Back