• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recommendations for a flood water rod.

Mike Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
I fish small to medium waters, mainly the Yorkshire Derwent, Wharfe and Ouse. My go to rods are 11' x 1.5tc free spirit or 12' x 1.75tc diawa black widow. Both are through action, which I like. But recently I have taken to fishing in flood water conditions and found them rather too soft when trying to keep a big fish out of submerged vegetation near the bank.
So I am looking to buy something with a bit more power but not too tippy in action. This will not be my go to rod unless the river is high, or I visit a river like the Wye. So I only want to spend say £50 - 100. The trouble is most local tackle shops do not have a variety on show to compare. Happy to buy new or good used, but what would YOU suggest.
Many thanks,
Mike.

What sized leads and feeders are you wanting to lob out Mike?

I'd be inclined to get a decent quality second hand rod, £100 might get you a top draw harrison or freespirit.

Ash. Mine arrived today.
Caught the 14.14 on the 2.25 with fair bit water on Trent so got the second one.

Hi Joe,
Not really needing to chuck more than 3 - 4oz and no great distance, so casting power isn't really a concern. I just want something which will allow me to enjoy the fight from a 7 - 9lb barbel with good control near the net when the river is up and there are snags under my feet.

Not if you want a through bend rod to deal with your spate rivers.

I have only used up to 2lb before but this season with all the water on the 2.25 has coped without feeling at all sticky.

I have been using on the Severn as well as my one Trent visit.

3oz feeder filled up with feed perfect without pushing my 1.75 or 2lb torrix.

Don't fear hook pulls either.

I fish small to medium waters, mainly the Yorkshire Derwent, Wharfe and Ouse. My go to rods are 11' x 1.5tc free spirit or 12' x 1.75tc diawa black widow. Both are through action, which I like. But recently I have taken to fishing in flood water conditions and found them rather too soft when trying to keep a big fish out of submerged vegetation near the bank.
So I am looking to buy something with a bit more power but not too tippy in action. This will not be my go to rod unless the river is high, or I visit a river like the Wye. So I only want to spend say £50 - 100. The trouble is most local tackle shops do not have a variety on show to compare. Happy to buy new or good used, but what would YOU suggest.
Many thanks,
Mike.
Mike.
For the Wharfe and Derwent in the conditions described the Korum twin tip would fit the bill. Two tips 1.75 to 2.2 lb. It does the business on the tidal Trent as well at 5 metre heights. It throws big baited feeders and has a great playing action. A lot of rod for not a lot of money in the below the £100 range. I have one spare for sale or to look at if required. I live in East Yorkshire. Ady

I have a pair of 2.75 Korum 13ft, initially was a bit worried I would be over gunned but they are absolutely ideal; can handle large leads ( used 6oz with ease ) but still retain a nice playing action and sensitive tip. I got them for the odd Trent trip when water is right up and at £60 a rod I am very impressed. Caught my PB 14Ib on them and was glad of the additional length and power on the day...but also caught a 5Ib Barbel and a Chub which provided a good playing experience also

I have a pair of 2.75 Korum 13ft, initially was a bit worried I would be over gunned but they are absolutely ideal; can handle large leads ( used 6oz with ease ) but still retain a nice playing action and sensitive tip. I got them for the odd Trent trip when water is right up and at £60 a rod I am very impressed. Caught my PB 14Ib on them and was glad of the additional length and power on the day...but also caught a 5Ib Barbel and a Chub which provided a good playing experience also
korum great rods have a look at harrison chimera 3 would be ideal 12 foot plenty of stopping power and will handle any lead you will need on your river or harrison snag and flood 11ft 6in have all 3 rods snag and flood my favourite will do the same as chimiera 3 just keeps on bending plenty of power

2lb Harrison I power which has a nice through action,or 2LB Torrix which has a bit more power. even better Cane MKV ,Chapmans 550,both my rods of choice for a high Derwent.Tomorrow I hope to be in your favorite swim with a cane octopus 12ft which is solid cane butt and middle built cane top.
Cheap as chips and has handled fish to over 14 pounds.

Hi Ken, be careful, looked at that swim a couple of days ago and the bank was really slippery.
Sold a Chapman 500 last year which I had owned since my teens.
Would love a Harrison, but not likely to find one below £100, or am I ?
Let me know how you get on tomorrow.
Mike

I have a pair of thesus barbel tamers 2.25 lb and they are superb rods hard to come by now

Not used one but the new cadence power feeder rod looks great. I Know the other kit gets good reviews. Could potentially double up a Power float rod at 13.8 ft.

I think the Chimera 3 has been mentioned - great floodwater / big feeder rod - Dave Lumb reference CS12-SU
I also rate the Daiwa Theory 2.25, amazing all rounder for the money and often show up on classifieds on here at sensible money

Back